Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moving your models?

lots and lots of wally world bags! wrap them all up individually and very carefully stack them in a large box (mine was very huge!!) worse case scenario you may end up having to re attach a couple wheels, or glueing some sideveiw mirrors back on, my builds faired very well going all the way from Mississippi 1,000 miles to north Carolina, the 2 years later the same thousand mile trip back down to Mississippi!

layers of newspaper in between the layers of vehicles makes kind of like a makeshift newspaper and plastic buffer bag parking garage lol

worked for me

I have old Suitcase where I can fit 9 Models so that none of them is hitting to other ones. Put some paper between the models to make sure that they will stay on place. Then just carefully handle that case and you'll be fine. I use this way to transport my models to shows, and I have never broke anything. Of course, more models you have, more suitcases/other containers you'll need. But this way it is highly possible that there will be zero damage.

I bought a bunch of 41 quart plastic totes and bath towels. The totes are probably 6" tall, 30" long and 18" wide with a lid. I put a large bath towel on the bottom wrinkled up then placed the models on the towel. I pulled up the wrinkles to provide a little cushion between the models. The wrinkled towel keeps the models from moving around too much, gives them a little padding from road bumps and keeps them from bashing together. The totes are sturdy enough to allow stacking 2 or 3 high. You just need to keep them upright and avoid hard jarring (don't crash). I moved all my models (cars, trucks, airplanes, helicopters etc) 7 hours this way over twisting mountain roads, freeway and urban traffic and had zero casualties. I also have a nice new collection of bath towels.

Edited by Aaronw

I used to work for a distribution warehouse that dealt in packing supplies, and the best thing I ever "dumpster dived" (before it hit the dumpster :lol: ) was scrap bubble wrap! They would cut large 5 foot tall rolls to customer specs and the remaining would go to the trash, so I started collecting the scrap. If you still have the kits original boxes, just wrap the model in the bubble wrap until it fills the box and the model will be safe and sound. This also works for shipping trades as well, as I did very frequently here in the past. I would fill the remaining space in the box with bubble wrap and then wrap the box in bubble wrap before putting it in the shipping box. If you don't have the original boxes, use the tote idea earlier, just substitute the bubble wrap for the towels.

I would suggest looking in your local phone book under shipping supplies and see if there is a distributing warehouse around your area and see if they either have any scrap bubble wrap you could "dumpster dive" or see how much a bulk roll of 10 inch wide small bubble bubble wrap would cost. Bring a car with a big back seat or a pickup, as a normal roll is about 4 feet in diameter!

Oh, and as a redneck working in that warehouse, it was always fun unloading a bubble truck, everyone always was popping some as the truck was unloaded!!! :lol::lol::lol:

lots and lots of wally world bags! wrap them all up individually and very carefully stack them in a large box (mine was very huge!!) worse case scenario you may end up having to re attach a couple wheels, or glueing some sideveiw mirrors back on, my builds faired very well going all the way from Mississippi 1,000 miles to north Carolina, the 2 years later the same thousand mile trip back down to Mississippi!

layers of newspaper in between the layers of vehicles makes kind of like a makeshift newspaper and plastic buffer bag parking garage lol

worked for me

Yeah, I think your thread here is proof that doesn't work!! :rolleyes::huh::blink::blink:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78588

You can get rolls of toliet paper and roll around each model until it builds up and lay each one on te wheels in a box but do not stack. l moved all of mine and only put on a few mirrors. it sounds silly but it works...

It's not that silly at all Carl. I have a couple friends that use paper towels to protect painted bodies in their "I might finish this someday" projects.

Bubble wrap, soft paper and packing peanuts all work in concert to provide maximum protection. I liked the idea of packing them into underbed storage boxes. I think you'll find Sterilite makes good ones- easily available at Wal-Mart, Target and many Ace/True Value/Do it Best/Trustworthy and independent hardware stores.

Good luck with the moves and safe travels to you.

Charlie Larkin

What about something like the boxes you put baseball cards in? I have recieved models in these type of boxes with some bubble wrap and nothing bad to put back on except a mirror or 2(usps is rough with mail)

See pic on what kind of box im talking about

This is a good idea, too. If you package securely, as I described, then box the models and place the boxes in one big container, you'll have a safe move for them.

Charlie Larkin

Thank you for the ideas! I have some under bed storage containers so ill try the towels with some packing penuts and maybe some socks Inbetween them and see how that will work if not ill try some other ideas you gave me. Thanks again!

Edited by Dragfreak

I recently moved into my new house, and having been through the moving drill plenty of times previously due to occupational requirements, my divised method is similar to those above. I for one always save the kit boxes now, and for the ones that have no boxes I save shoe boxes. I look no further than my garage for protection... I have stacks of micro fiber towels for cleaning my 1:1 cars, so I loosely wrap the assembled model in a micro fiber and support the sides with balled up terry cloth or old socks. Hey, don't laugh it works fairly well. Inevitably your going to pop off a mirror or antenna so be really careful when unpacking. For moving them in bulk I have large totes like the big Rubbermade ones you can pick up and Ollies, or Big Lots for a few bucks. One good size tote holds about 8-12 kits depending on the kit box sizes. I make sure to pack them tight enough not to jostle around but not so tight it destroys the box. Be sure to mark fragile!

Edited by Blown03SVT

Here's how it went with my move almost four years ago.

Each model was wrapped in an inexpensive freezer bag (carefully), and then wrapped with multiple layers of cheap toilet paper. I did it that way because TP leaves fuzz on the model. Figure on using a fair amount of TP for wrapping.

Then, each model was placed side by side in a heavy duty corrugated box. A layer of styro peanuts went on top (gently), and the process was repeated. Two layers in each box, max.

It goes without saying that your models should be transported to their new home by you, and not the moving company (if that's the case).

I wrapped each built model in paper towels and put it in it's own case. I put the cases inside a copy paper box and filled the open spaces with newspaper and wadded up plastic bags. I drove them myself the three days to my new digs. I had cars, tanks, ships and 120mm military figures. All came through with little reattachment of parts needed. Unbuilt kits were transported in Rubbermaid totes on the same trip.

This trip was taken in February, 4 months before I actually retired to avoid heat issues. In fact it snowed in the Rockies so I took I 40 west. Even then it snowed in Flagstaff the day before I passed through. No heat related issues to report either.

G

When I moved from NJ to PA, I was fortunate that there was a significant overlap in my ownership of my last house. So I was able to move my collection myself in my Dodge Caravan, bringing a full load to the new house every week after spending my weekend with my family in the old house.

For my good built kits, I hand transported them in the same manner that you would bring them to a show. I placed each in a model car box, centered it, and filled it in with peanuts. Those were then placed in Xerox paper cases and I carried those with all the care you'd give to transporting donor organs! :)

I also packed up a lot of my diecast and old builtups, restorables etc as Don described. Each one in a freezer bag (so that if something comes off it stays with that model) and once that was done, I wrapped them in newspaper (the plastic kept the newsprint from the models) and lined them up in those Home Depot medium boxes, or Xerox paper cases. I'd fill in all voids with newspaper, then when I got a layer done, I'd put a full newspaper or cardboard in between. And use common sense not to have a bottom layer of delicate kits and diecast on the top! Plan your box.

For the unbuilt kits still in their boxes, Home Depot sells moving boxes in Small / Medium / Large sizes. They are all less than a dollar or two. The small one is good for heavy stuff like your magazine and literature collection. The medium size is good for a lot of your 'stuff' and household goods. I'd say the majority of my home goods got packed in that size. Now for unbuilt kits, the Large box they sell is perfect. You can get nearly a dozen of the standard kit boxes in there. When there was some space on a side or top, I'd fill it in with small flat model boxes and Japanese flat box kits. You can pack these fairly solid, good enough to even have movers handle.

Most important - Be mindful as to how long your models remain packed up. Especially with things like packing peanuts, they can react with your paint, tires and decals over time. Especially with temperature changes. Also note that packing peanuts also come in the biodegradable type, that melt in the land fill, but also are affected by dampness and other environmental changes. So never leave your models in peanuts for an extended period of time!

Edited by Tom Geiger

When I moved from NJ to PA, I was fortunate that there was a significant overlap in my ownership of my last house. So I was able to move my collection myself in my Dodge Caravan, bringing a full load to the new house every week after spending my weekend with my family in the old house.

For my good built kits, I hand transported them in the same manner that you would bring them to a show. I placed each in a model car box, centered it, and filled it in with peanuts. Those were then placed in Xerox paper cases and I carried those with all the care you'd give to transporting donor organs! :)

I also packed up a lot of my diecast and old builtups, restorables etc as Don described. Each one in a freezer bag (so that if something comes off it stays with that model) and once that was done, I wrapped them in newspaper (the plastic kept the newsprint from the models) and lined them up in those Home Depot medium boxes, or Xerox paper cases. I'd fill in all voids with newspaper, then when I got a layer done, I'd put a full newspaper or cardboard in between. And use common sense not to have a bottom layer of delicate kits and diecast on the top! Plan your box.

For the unbuilt kits still in their boxes, Home Depot sells moving boxes in Small / Medium / Large sizes. They are all less than a dollar or two. The small one is good for heavy stuff like your magazine and literature collection. The medium size is good for a lot of your 'stuff' and household goods. I'd say the majority of my home goods got packed in that size. Now for unbuilt kits, the Large box they sell is perfect. You can get nearly a dozen of the standard kit boxes in there. When there was some space on a side or top, I'd fill it in with small flat model boxes and Japanese flat box kits. You can pack these fairly solid, good enough to even have movers handle.

Most important - Be mindful as to how long your models remain packed up. Especially with things like packing peanuts, they can react with your paint, tires and decals over time. Especially with temperature changes. Also note that packing peanuts also come in the biodegradable type, that melt in the land fill, but also are affected by dampness and other environmental changes. So never leave your models in peanuts for an extended period of time!

Like Thommy says! Get your built models out of their packing material ASAP! I'm fortunate enough to work in a business where boxes, bubble wrap and styro peanuts (to an extent) are abundant.

My unbuilt kits (and there were plenty), went in large, sturdy boxes. Some of them are still in the same boxes three and a half years later, although they've all been moved around and repacked for storage.

To transport mine to shows, I just roll up the small sheets of felt that you can buy at any craft store, and stuff it in between each model. I make sure that they are all tightly wedged so there is no movement and it provides a lot of stability.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. For the record, the top two cars are not mine, my friend built them:

DSCN0424.jpg

Moving them was a success! I will post some photos tomorrow morning of what I came up with but I took one of those large long plastic bins and put a towel in it, I then placed the models spaced evenly apart in the bin and used half of my nike long socks in between them in front of them and behind them to ensure they wouldn't bang against each other and then I placed a sweatshirt in front of them all so they wouldn't slide forward or backwards. The new house is only about five miles away but the drive up the pot holed road that leads to the top if the hill isn't a smooth ride. When we got there I got them out of the bin as fast as I could and I found no broken off mirrors or door handles and everything was great! The others that didn't fit in the bin went on the floor board and I just stuffed some more socks I between them and I had no broken parts there either! Thanks again for your ideas!