Model Cars Magazine Forum

Impressed by '69 Nova from Revell !

1972coronet

I just bought the now-old-news 1969 COPO Nova , and boy am I freakin' impressed with its contents !!

While I already was obviously aware of its L-72 goodness , what I wasn't aware of was the kit's inclusion of 396 Super Sport "options" !

Okay , maybe I'm getting ahead of my-self ... I'm not overly familiar with the nuances of the '69 X-body ; was the SS available with a bench seat ?

As you can tell , I'm wanting to build an L-78 375 hp 396 version , if that's "possible" (i.e. , is a factory stock replica possible with the provided parts ?) .

In the meantime ; please share your builds of this kit here ! Would like some inspiration !

Here are a couple I did, The green one is Revell's first release of the kit, SS with 350. the Garnet one is the COPO release with a 4 cylinder based on the Trumpeter 63 Nova 6.

post-136-0-92078800-1378203752_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-01738800-1378203781_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-77016200-1378203815_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-33931500-1378203846_thumb.jpg

Thank you , Lee :) .

I certainly remember your beautiful Iron Duke Nova build ! One of the finest conversions I've seen to date :) :) .

Your green SS 350 doesn't look too bad , either ! Nice clean construction ; quite easy on ones eyes :) .

I just realised that the COPO version is sans the SS hood . Guess it's back to building it as a COPO (not a bad thing) , but perhaps I'll convert it to an auto (T.H. 400) on the column , just like the Dick Harrell SS/EA Novas !

RE align the REAR taillight valance panel BEFORE you do any other bodywork. It is placed VERTICALLY on the kit, it is SUPPOSED to angle outward as it rises from the bumper so it tilts OUT at the TOP. It IS NOT a vertical panel. WHY they did NOT fix this is odd, but it is easily fixed. Other than that REAL flaw, it's a GREAT kit. I can live with the wheelwells shape, but that valance panel KILLS me! Yes, you COULD order an SS with a bench seat,and an Automatic shift on the column.

Great question--I've just recently wanted to do the same thing. I've been thinking the Yenko might be a better starting point, given the vent trim hood as well as the SS grill and rear. Both would work, I suppose, but I personally could use another set of the Yenko decals, so maybe I'll go that way. If you search "Nova" in the box at the top of the page, you'll find many great builds.

For that matter, I'd like to know how all of you who've built these kits get the "350" or whatever in the front side light trim. Do you all shave the trim off and use the decal for the whole trim piece? Some of the completed models posted don't look like the whole thing is the decal, so I gotta ask...

Edited by berr13

RE align the REAR taillight valance panel BEFORE you do any other bodywork. It is placed VERTICALLY on the kit, it is SUPPOSED to angle outward as it rises from the bumper so it tilts OUT at the TOP. It IS NOT a vertical panel. WHY they did NOT fix this is odd, but it is easily fixed. Other than that REAL flaw, it's a GREAT kit. I can live with the wheelwells shape, but that valance panel KILLS me! Yes, you COULD order an SS with a bench seat,and an Automatic shift on the column.

You can live with the wheel wells, I can live with both, lol. Thanks for the comments on my builds.

Edited by midnightprowler

Okay this is not the COPO Nova, but the Revell Special Edition kit that is basically the same kit. I converted mine to a Stock Eliminator Drag Car with a bunch of scratchbuilt/Modified parts. WIP Thread can be found Here.

P4180116.jpg

P4180121.jpg

P4180119.jpg

P4180109.jpg

Edited by W-409

What you do is take the bench seat, non SS grill & valance, flat hood, steelies and poverty caps out of the COPO Nova. Go buy a Yenko Nova, take out the SS grill and valance, wheels, bucket seats, and hood. Swap parts from COPO into Yenko and vice-versa. NOW you have an accurate Yenko Nova and an accurate SS396 Nova.

Now why Revell didn't just do that in the FIRST place remains the great unknown. Other than the part where they made you buy two kits and swap parts just so you can build...two kits... :angry:

For that matter, I'd like to know how all of you who've built these kits get the "350" or whatever in the front side light trim. Do you all shave the trim off and use the decal for the whole trim piece? Some of the completed models posted don't look like the whole thing is the decal, so I gotta ask...

I´ve seperated the badge from the decal. Just BMF the whole side marker thing, some clear orange and the tiny decal. Very easy and effective:

3637623635303133.jpg

These are the two builds that i did so far from Revell´s Nova kits:

3438663964613263.jpg

3939626633383861.jpg

The kits are very nice to work with. For those who are into superdetailing: the ModelCarGarage PE grille for the ´72 Nova from AMT fits the Revell kit aswell.

• 1 month later...