Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Sounds like the Dunkin Donuts here. We've got a DD/Baskin-Robbins on the north side if town less than 10min from home, another DD/B-R about 5min north on the same highway, then a stand alone DD about 2min south of home, and then a DD/Subway (one of 3 Subways in town too.....) about 5min southwest from home.

Can I add all of the Toyota and Buick drivers as well as the general idiots I was around while running errands today to my list?

By the time I got home I was wishing I had the truck from "Dual" instead of my 200 today................I'm actually looking forward to driving into the city tomorrow?!

Edited by Joe Handley

ROUNDABOUTS!!! I had to drive in the next county over today and some idiot on the street planning department over there has a fetish for those stupid things. Most dangerous and property wasting thing I know of. Converts any road or street into a figure 8 track. They even put 2 on a state highway. How would you like to deal with that in an 18 wheeler?

The habits of people, as far as grocery shopping goes, is studied down to the tiniest detail. Nothing is done by accident.

There was a recent study done on kids cereal box 'mascots'. It found that the eyes of these 'mascots' are positioned at a certain angle to make better eye contact with kids as they go down the aisle.

Somewhere toward the end ( carburetors to Fuel injection) GM decided only two hold down studs were necessary for their 2g carburetors, thus , saving thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. carb-5.jpg

Its amazing how one little thing can save so much money though. Bottom line is that everything comes down to money. Its sneaky the way that it is done but it is part of buisness.

American Airlines once saved $40,000 in a year by eliminating one olive from their in flight salads.

Speedway bought out Gas America, so where those stations were close you now have two Speedway stations.

The same happened when the Pilot truckstop chain bought out Speedway truck stops and also the Flying J truckstop chain. There are still instances today where at the same interstate exit there is a Pilot on one side and a Flying J on the other side of the highway or maybe even right across the street or next door. The same also holds true for the Travelcenters of America (T/A truckstops) and the Petro truckstop chain, T/A bought out the Petro chain. At least with the T/A and Petro merger, T/A was smart enough to not change the Petro to fit them, Pilot did that with Flying J and with Pilot having mostly fast food joints in them and the old pre-merger Flying J's having a great sit down restaurant called the Country Market Buffet (they went by another name in some parts of the country though) and after the merger, Pilot did away with the restaurants and put in Denny's!! :( I used to plan my trip just to stop for the night and stop at Flying J's just to have the good buffet, now it's just either Denny's or Wendy's. :(

Speedway bought out Gas America, so where those stations were close you now have two Speedway stations.

There's another factor involved.

In very busy, high traffic areas, convenience stores/gas stations, sometimes even fast food restaurants of the same brand may be positioned on opposite sides of the street (usually opposing corners of busy intersections) in order to capture traffic traveling in any direction.

Numerous studies have shown that many motorists will not bother making a left turn to go to a particular brand (even if they're loyal to that brand) and then have to make another left turn to resume their route, but if it's on their side of the street, they don't mind two right turns to stop and spend some money. By having stores on opposite corners the retailer can hope to capture a bigger percentage of the consumers traveling any direction at that intersection.

It gets real interesting in some locations where you have Circle Ks on the NE corner and the SW corner and AM/PMs on the NW corner and the SE corner! Talk about dueling banjos!!

There's another factor involved.

In very busy, high traffic areas, convenience stores/gas stations, sometimes even fast food restaurants of the same brand may be positioned on opposite sides of the street (usually opposing corners of busy intersections) in order to capture traffic traveling in any direction.

Numerous studies have shown that many motorists will not bother making a left turn to go to a particular brand (even if they're loyal to that brand) and then have to make another left turn to resume their route, but if it's on their side of the street, they don't mind two right turns to stop and spend some money. By having stores on opposite corners the retailer can hope to capture a bigger percentage of the consumers traveling any direction at that intersection.

It gets real interesting in some locations where you have Circle Ks on the NE corner and the SW corner and AM/PMs on the NW corner and the SE corner! Talk about dueling banjos!!

True...I avoid making left turns whenever possible... one odd thing that I've found is that most of the gas stations on the major north-south streets in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area that I drive often (Scottsdale Road, 44th St, 32nd St, 24th st, 7th st, Central Ave, 7th ave) are on the east side of the street only, with few to none on the west sides...

Edited by Rob Hall

True...I avoid making left turns whenever possible... one odd thing that I've found is that most of the gas stations on the major north-south streets in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area that I drive often (Scottsdale Road, 44th St, 32nd St, 24th st, 7th st, Central Ave, 7th ave) are on the west side of the street only, with few to none on the east sides...

Another marketing decision. Consumers are generally in a hurry to work in the mornings, so the in-bound side of the street is not going to get much stop-in action, but the out-bound side of the street will attract the after-work-and-on-the-way-home rush. If the demographics only support one store in the area, place it where motorists are more likely to feel they have time to stop and buy.

Another marketing decision. Consumers are generally in a hurry to work in the mornings, so the in-bound side of the street is not going to get much stop-in action, but the out-bound side of the street will attract the after-work-and-on-the-way-home rush. If the demographics only support one store in the area, place it where motorists are more likely to feel they have time to stop and buy.

I got the east and west sides backwards.. :) I live in Central Phoenix and usually am always commuting out to the burbs (Scottsdale and Tempe), so I'm going south/southeast in the morning and north/northwest in the evening..so the gas stations are positioned where I can fuel up in the evening..in 6 years in the valley, I've only had one gig in Phoenix--downtown. Everything else has been out in the burbs..Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler..

Edited by Rob Hall

Ok... here's one. You're sitting at an intersection in the left turn lane. There's a car ahead of you, and your light is green (not a green turn arrow, but the general green for everyone), and there's oncoming traffic, so the guy ahead of you can't turn left just yet... but the just sits there. Doesn't move. Then when the light turns yellow he makes his left turn and I'm forced to wait.

If I'm the lead car in the left turn lane and the light is green, I'll always enter the intersection as far as I can, so that when there's a break in traffic, or when the light turns red, one or two guys behind me can also make their left turn. It's just common courtesy, IMO.

^ Ahh, the left on green with no arrow. I deeply despise that sort of intersection and will make multiple right turns to avoid them.

No, not with no arrow... I'm talking about when the general green is on but not the left turn arrow. Generally the left turn arrow will go off while the general green stays on for a while yet.... so if a car pulls into the left turn lane while the general green is on (but not the turn arrow), they ought to pull into the intersection far enough so that the guy behind (or two behind) can also move up and make the left turn once the light turns red.

No, not with no arrow... I'm talking about when the general green is on but not the left turn arrow. Generally the left turn arrow will go off while the general green stays on for a while yet.... so if a car pulls into the left turn lane while the general green is on (but not the turn arrow), they ought to pull into the intersection far enough so that the guy behind (or two behind) can also move up and make the left turn once the light turns red.

I hate general green as well.the worst, though, are intersections that have a dedicated left turn lane but no arrow--general green only. I don't like pulling out in the middle of the intersection since it's statistically a high chance of getting hit, not to mention my long standing phobia of stalling on left turns (a Chrysler thing). Therefore I avoid left turns without arrows whenever possible...

Edited by Rob Hall

When I was first learning to drive a stick, I had the fear of stalling in the intersection. But that was a long time ago... I've gotten over that fear! ^_^

Yeah, and for me it wasn't even with a stick..it was an automatic '79 Dodge Power Wagon pickup...it had a propensity to stall on left turns...after having it stall on me in the middle of intersections a few times as a teenager that phobia has stuck with me for almost 30 years. Even driving modern fuel-injected cars it's in the back of my mind.

Edited by Rob Hall

Ok... here's one. You're sitting at an intersection in the left turn lane. There's a car ahead of you, and your light is green (not a green turn arrow, but the general green for everyone), and there's oncoming traffic, so the guy ahead of you can't turn left just yet... but the just sits there. Doesn't move. Then when the light turns yellow he makes his left turn and I'm forced to wait.

If I'm the lead car in the left turn lane and the light is green, I'll always enter the intersection as far as I can, so that when there's a break in traffic, or when the light turns red, one or two guys behind me can also make their left turn. It's just common courtesy, IMO.

In My Town we have a Lagging left Arrow.In which the arrow turns on after the Green light turns red. However you can still make a left when the Green light is active, as long as traffic is clear for you. Its like having two Opprtunities to make a turn, and seems to work out well.

The next City over has a different System, they have The arrow only briefly stay on. "Very Briefly" in the beginning of the Green light, then it starts flashing Yellow Which makes you feel like the Grim Reaper is on the way, Then it turns Red and you have a short time to turn, before you get Creamed by the truck from Duel.