Model Cars Magazine Forum

$250,000 for a Mustang knockoff?

That is way cool! I think the article said it had an aluminum and carbon fiber body so it must be pretty light. Seems like the muscle car Detroit should have made instead of the rolling bricks of lead they produce now. Seems pretty simple to me, light+powerful=fast!

Honestly, it's not that much money considering the amount of fab-work going into it. It's an aluminum/ carbon fiber body. That alone is worth the price of admission. Granted, for that kind of cash I'd rather see a completely "original" design. But at the end of the day, after tooling, labor, the cost of paint, upgrade parts.. I'm willing to bet they aren't making a huge profit on these...

A) There just HAS to be some kind of agreement with Ford to build such an obvious knockoff...probably something similar to what the aftermarket tub and sheetmetal guys have going. This car, in this price range, can only serve to increase Ford's 'brand awareness' without costing them anything in lost sales. A win-win.

B) The article refers to it as both "BASS 770" and "Boss 770". If it's "Bass" like the fish (??), I think I'll pass. :lol:

Honestly, it's not that much money considering the amount of fab-work going into it. It's an aluminum/ carbon fiber body. That alone is worth the price of admission. Granted, for that kind of cash I'd rather see a completely "original" design. But at the end of the day, after tooling, labor, the cost of paint, upgrade parts.. I'm willing to bet they aren't making a huge profit on these...

Yup. Spoken like a man who's in the business and knows what he's talking about.

Why would Ford let a Mustang lookalike be built with a Chevy engine?

Good question, but here's the deal. If the management of this company has ANY CLUE about what's gone on recently in the courts, banning production of obvious knockoffs of Ferraris, Mercedes, etc., and IF they DIDN'T strike some kind of deal with Ford to license at least the appearance BEFORE investing, obviously heavily, in engineering and tooling, they're going to spend every nickel of potential profit slugging it out legally. All the speculation in the world won't change that simple equation.

If it were built in China for Chinese consumption, there wouldn't really be anything Ford could do. But legal precedent has been established in the western world defining car designs (even old out-of-production ones) as "intellectual property", beginning with Ferrari going after and shutting down McBurnie's Daytona Spyder (Miami Vice car) clones. IF there's no agreement with Ford, and Ford decides to hammer them, they WILL lose.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I think its a ridiculous concept imho...a weird looking, old school 'stang fastback with a ZR1 engine/ and suspension control system. Give me a real ZR1 and with the extra $125.000.00+ dollars, I would have a MUCH better car that that thing.

At least they could've used Ford Parts....maybe some Supercharged EFI Boss 429 engine or something akin to that instead of that mish mash they are presenting. Sorry, It does nothing for me at all....but to each his own.

hsvette_zpsaf5daa01.gif

Why would Ford let a Mustang lookalike be built with a Chevy engine?

FoMoCo would not repete the same fatal mistake as Studebaker Packard Corp . IMHO this was among a constant barrage of choices made by managment . Awfull , costly and terribly wrong choices . These vaulted Chevy Engines was just pouring gasoline on a fire as the result was to predictably speed up the end . The Warrenty Claims paid out for this debacle avlanched to a new height . Making not only the depletion of the remaining monies in the coffer . Also further the Tarnishment of the reputatuion for the failing concern . This reputation made further acess to Capital impossible . FoMoCo did not become Government Motors . Only good decisions made this happen . I think FOMoCo would "stay the course" . Thanx ..

Edited by dimaxion

To much money for a ford to me now if it was a chevy maybe.

John Pol

"While the aluminum and carbon fiber-bodied two-door strongly resembles Frank Bullitt’s 1968 Mustang GT, it’s powered by the supercharged 6.2-liter V8 from the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1"

Technically, it is a Chevy.