Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Dodge Model Finished - - Class of '58 - - Entry #9

Ramfins59

This baby is officially finished. While it's not perfect, as none of my models are (or am I), it looks pretty darn cool and is a great addition to my Class of '58 build group. Let the pictures tell the story.

58DODGEMODELFINISHED11024x763_zpsfbf8dd5

58DODGEMODELFINISHED21024x677_zpsb146057

58DODGEMODELFINISHED31024x752_zps8a15f7b

58DODGEMODELFINISHED41024x687_zpsa58f16e

58DODGEMODELFINISHED51024x756_zps37e9124

58DODGEMODELFINISHED61024x762_zpsbcc903d

In case you didn't see the build/WIP thread, this is a Johan Promo that I picked up on EBAY. I got replacement grille, bumpers and glass from Modelhaus along with their interior tub for a '59 Dodge (because the promo body needed a shallow interior). They substituted the dash and steering wheel from their '57 Dodge kit because it is just about the same for the '58 Dodge. (You can see the finished interior details in the WIP thread). The paint is a Krylon yellow and Duplicolor black with a clearcoat overall. The BMF work was a bear to do but in the end it came out looking pretty good.

Thanks for looking in on this. Now to decide which one to pull out of the never shrinking pile and put on the bench for some more 50's memories..

Hey Rich...

I notice that the wipers on that body are very shallow and almost invisible. Maybe you might want to look into PE wipers for your next model? I think a model as cool as this really deserves going that "extra mile." Maybe too late to mess with this one, but something to consider for your next one?

PS: Love the dash-mounted rear view mirror. Very period-correct for a MOPAR and a nice touch. B)

Thank you all so much guys. I really appreciate it.

Harry, yes sir, those were the days when you could tell the make, model and year of the car just by looking at it. Not all little rolling eggs like we get today. Cars had style, class and CHROME...!!! I thought about sanding off the molded on wipers like I've on previous promos that I built, but for some reason decided against it on this one. That'll learn me..!! I had a '59 Dodge Coronet for 8 years and it had the dash mounted rear view mirror. The '57, '58 and '59 Dodges all had them. At the rate that I've been going through sheets of BMF on these 50's builds I'll definitely have to stock up again soon because I've got a LOT more 50's cars yet to build.

Tom G., I definitely need to get more display cabinets for my finished builds. I can't do the museum thing in my basement until my daughter gets married and moves out NEXT October (fingers crossed!!!)

Tom G., I definitely need to get more display cabinets for my finished builds. I can't do the museum thing in my basement until my daughter gets married and moves out NEXT October (fingers crossed!!!)

I remember you saying that! And then you can create an entire man level to your house! Look at the bright side, I had to move to another state to shake my kids from the nest.