Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Buick Custom: Re-done

James2

Thanks for the help everyone.

These tires are a little big for this build, but could be used. They are from the 50 Olds kit. But this is the look I'm after.

The white wall is kind of an experiment with acrylic paint. This could work with an airbrush and a circle template.

31.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing some clean up on this one, removed emblems and handles. The tape helps me to stay off of the trim when filling and sanding.

001.jpg

003.jpg

Also had to make a new ridge on the hood, the previous owner had partially sanded it off.

002.jpg

Plenty of work to do still. Thanks, Jim...

• 2 weeks later...

​Tried my hand at a little re-scribing. I made a template for the wings and glued a guide on the tool for the straights.

41.jpg

Also some block sanding...

42.jpg

And then final primer...

43.jpg

44.jpg

I also plugged the holes in the "A" pillars and removed the door handles, Thanks for looking, Jim.

Edited by James2

It's good that you are rescribing the fin trim. It's very faint on both the '59 and '60. While you're in there, look at the underside of the fin for the trim edge. That one is nearly non-existent.

Note that on the real car the trim at the edge of the fin is the finish. Take it off and there's just an unfinished pinch weld between the two pieces that make up the top and bottom of the fin. I had a 1:1 1960 Electra.

I had to re-scribe the trim on mine too

I used a dial set compass/divider with 2 points.

Set it to the correct width, set the long point against the

edge, and drug it along the fender letting th e shaper point

Deepen the scribe line of the trim.

JUST Make sure to keep it Straight!!!!

• 3 months later...

Made it to the Toy Show in Toledo Sat with some buds from the club.

Not as many sellers as at the NNL, mostly promo and toy stuff with a few models mixed in. Modelhaus was there and I did pick up the parts to finish this Buick.

I have to fine tune a few things and then all I need is a few warms days and it will make it to the spray booth. Pix to follow...

• 2 weeks later...

Winter is finally giving way, warmer temps bring paint booth time. Won't be long now I can put some color on this one.

My kit was missing a steering wheel so I grafted one in from a Caddy, not to big of a stretch! Polished glass and ride height set.

Felt good to spend some time at the bench...

2014.jpg

2017.jpg

2018-1.jpg