Model Cars Magazine Forum

First Mustang ever sold..

Hey, Chris and the board. I just received a book, 50 Years of Mustangs, and the lady who bought this Mustang bought it on the 16th, and they weren't supposed to go onsale until the 17th. She stopped by to buy a convertible, and the salesman didn't have any, except this one. So, she actually bought it a day early. As for the very first Mystang made, it was bought by a Canadian airline pilot. The serial number was 100, 001. Ford didn't know where the car was, but tracked it down a couple of years later and traded the man serial number 1,000,001, a Silver Frost Mustang, for his car. Quite an interesting story, and a great book.

Nice car and beautiful restoration, but the engine is completely the wrong color... Mustang V8s weren't Ford Engine Blue until 1966. sheesh...

Are you sure about that. Depends on the engine choice. 260V8s had blue valve covers and air cleaner. The only thing I can see wrong with their engine is they are using a blue distributor cap when that should be black. From Mustang Monthly.....The 101-horse 170ci six had a bright red valve cover and air cleaner. The optional base V-8, the 260-2V with 164 hp, had a Light Ford Blue air cleaner and valve covers. The 210hp 289-4V was a low-compression small-block with a gold air cleaner and valve covers. Like the 170ci six and the 260ci V-8, the 289-4V had a black block, oil pan, timing cover, water pump, and cylinder heads. The 289 High Performance with 271 hp sported a black block, oil pan, timing cover, water pump, and cylinder heads, with the chrome dress-up kit that included valve covers and an open-element air cleaner.

mump_0308_03_+correct_mustang_engine_pai
The base V-8 during the Mustang's first five months was the 260-2V with Light Blue valve c

One important issue to consider with air-cleaner color is the intake snorkel. Instead of being blue or gold, the snorkel is gloss black for 1965.

Read more: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0308_select_correct_vintage_mustang_engine_paint/viewall.html#ixzz2kuiYVNNp

I know. We had a similar arguement at a show where a Mustang 260 was being judged. lucky for us, Google is our friend and a quick search on the phone proved the car was correct. I'm still learning about all the variants myself. I just recently seen a 170 six banger in red with black block and head, and next to the car was another six done in blue. Both were 65s. I believe the blue sixes did not come out until 66. But anything is possible. Both cars were purported to be original.

Edited by lordairgtar

I'm a VIN guy. You'll never find a 1964 Mustang. You'll never find a 64-1/2 Mustang. They are all 1965's. The first digit on every Mustang in 1964 up until the start of 1966 production is a '5'. There may have been running changes (dash board, etc.), but these cars are all 1965.

My story and I'm sticking to it...