Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Custom crew cab Bus phantom Barn doka....quick build?

Thought I would finish a custom crew cab bus that I started a while ago. body work was done and I painted a metallic blue/green. Found a flaw in the paint so I may re-spray. Roof panel and bumpers will be bright white.

The crew cab is custom because there are no extra doors and no side gates. Not very practical, but smooths out the look. I converted the cabin to the rare walk through option so the rearseat could be accessed.

This was supposed to be a quick build, but I could not leave well enough alone.

The chassis pan was massaged and detailed and the front beam is a detailed unit from the revell Calf roller bus. The arms were flipped and the beam raised in the chassis to dump the stance. The wheel wells were raised for clearance.

The rear beam and trailing arms were lowered. The hasegawa unit was shaved down and smoothed out to make it look more realistic, plus an extra trans unit was added to the top of the flat bottom unit. I added the top end or made the "short block" into a "long block"!

I may have to open up the engine compartment door now?

Wheels are wide 5 old school Rostyle sprintstar custom made from old Revell custom 56 chevy rims.

IMG_20131115_132247-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_132308-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_132328-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_132418-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_132527-vi.jpg

IMG_20131115_132740-vi.jpg

Edited by empinut

Thanks Tom, Ray,Jouko and Richard.

Tom, I only have 25 kits in my built/unbuilt stash, and I feel the need to finish 2 to 3 more per year. Most of the 25 are vw, no surprise.

Jouka, I had that resin Doka in my "shopping cart" a few times, but decided to use kits already in my stash to make my own. I also started a Binz crew cab just to be different. If your not into body work, the resin kit is a great start.

Thanks