Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don Garlit`s "SideWinder" T/F Dragster

Hello.......I built this last year......i started with a junk Revell 1/16 Don Garlits rear engine dragster kit......I modified the frame to fit the engine.....alot of modifications......to many to mention......I used "Pro Tech": braided line,rubber fuel line,gauges,detailing wire,t`fittings,......paint is H.O.K. true blue pearl..... prismal.decals designed by me and "Fuelish Spectator"......alcad and weathering.......the last picture in the 3rd post is the "Sidewinders" twin the "Turbine" T/F Dragster.......thank`s for looking.

DSCF3958.jpg

DSCF3974.jpg

DSCF3902.jpg

DSCF3890.jpg

DSCF3893.jpg

John, I've never even heard of this car, much less ever seen it! This thing is beautiful. I'm with Harry on this one, a coupla those pics look like the REAL thing! :wacko:

I too have never seen this one, this is a really interesting set up considering the amount of hp these engines put out. Very nice job on it John, I agree that in a few of the shot's this does look like the real deal.

One quick question, was the real car very competitive? I would think that the kind of motor/trans set up would literally come apart under the stress...

I too have never seen this one, this is a really interesting set up considering the amount of hp these engines put out. Very nice job on it John, I agree that in a few of the shot's this does look like the real deal.

One quick question, was the real car very competitive? I would think that the kind of motor/trans set up would literally come apart under the stress...

Rob.....the real car did not last long.......it never really hooked up........in those day`s Garlit`s was alway`s trying to invent something new......it is currently in the Garlits museum........and had a few runs in Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines.......thank`s.

Nice build. What else could you expect, when John Teresi is the builder...? Paintjob looks good as always. Engine detailing is simply amazing, you are really talented... Engine is looking pretty wild when it's mounted like that. Great build, keep posting these older ones, if you still have more of them. I enjoy alot of watching these, and maybe someone else does also.

John... this is just Beautiful. the craftmanship on this is killer. You always do great work. I can't wait to see some of these in person. I have to ask about the front wire wheels. did you scratch build them yourself or are they a photo-etch set? I love the paint on it, it is just gorgeous. Keep up the great work buddy!!

John... this is just Beautiful. the craftmanship on this is killer. You always do great work. I can't wait to see some of these in person. I have to ask about the front wire wheels. did you scratch build them yourself or are they a photo-etch set? I love the paint on it, it is just gorgeous. Keep up the great work buddy!!

Chris.....the wheels are of my GMP Tommy Ivo........that got crushed in an Earthquake awhile back.....i salvaged the wheels.....I made them removable ......so that I can use them on other builds.......thank`s

Having personally seen this rail run under the lights in Tucson, I can tell you this is a spitting image of the 1:1 version. As for its length of time touring, it never really got out of the debut stage. Glad you posted your incredible build John. You are the master. I'm in utter awe.