Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paul Walker R.I.P.

randx0

Not only that, but if you look at the wreck that killed James Dean, that was considered his fault since he had just recieved a speeding ticket not too far from there and he was on his way yo a race in a low slung Porsche. Turns out some foresic crash investigators looked into a decade or so back and found that the colleage age kid driving the big Ford blew a sign and in the process of squashing his little silver Spyder, killed Dean and seriously hurt his passenger. Supposedly other guy never saw Dean's car as it blended in with the road a little too well.

They probably want to make sure they don't make that same mistake for these guys, especially if there are other issues those cars are known for besides suddenly swapping ends with the wrong application of the skinny pedal.

Ya know. It's strange that camera zoomed in on that. I don't know what exactly was happening behind those camera controls. But it raises my blood pressure to think someone might have been zooming that camera instead of bee lining for the door to help. I'll give them a benefit of a doubt if these were manual controls by a human because ya never know what runs through someone's head...it still irks me dearly.

BTW, Carl. I haven't located the CNN program just yet. However, I did locate a program Saturday night on CNN, that runs twice about heroes and I'm thinking he might be featured on it. I marked it on the DVR...pretty sure it was an Anderson Cooper program.

Side note

I know I've been trying to avoid much of the Hollywood side of the discussion at this point. But I have to give hats off the Universal Studios and the entire "Fast Family". The kindness shown by the cast and crew are the most genuine and sincere I have ever seen out of people in a film franchise. It's like they have all reached out to show family, fans, and friends that they understand what everyone is going through and they are genuinely grieving. Universal purchased a permit for family and friends to occupy the crash site for a short memorial. They are also giving part of their proceeds from Fast 6 to Reach Out Worldwide. And they are even considering completely scrapping Fast 7. Hollywood is so quick to grab that all mighty dollar but, Universal is willing to possibly walk away from its cash cow in honor of someone who has poured their heart and soul into helping build them arguably the most successful film franchise of this century.

I have checked CNN a few times but have not found it in their weekend schedule. I have to agree with you about the cast and Universal for their support during this sad time. You can't work that close with someone and not become close unless your made of stone. I can remember going and seeing the first one at the movies.

Hey Joe, are You going on the memorial cruise that's planned for between 1-8 P.M.today?

I'm closing manager at work tonight and we're open 'till 7 because of the holidays, we'll be lucky to be out by 7:45.

Where is it supposed to be at?

Edited by Joe Handley

Interesting theory as to a contributing factor, but like most "accidents", the primary culprit was operator-error...in this case, traveling at apparently at 90+mph in an area that wasn't safe for such speeds.

If you're gonna go fast, please learn from this and go fast in designated, safe, properly prepared and manned racing environments.

Interesting theory as to a contributing factor, but like most "accidents", the primary culprit was operator-error...in this case, traveling at apparently at 90+mph in an area that wasn't safe for such speeds.

If you're gonna go fast, please learn from this and go fast in designated, safe, properly prepared and manned racing environments.

Real good point Bill. I cannot understand why they went for a ride during the event..

I'm still curious if there was some sort of black box on the car.

There is some sort of black box on all newer cars. You can plug into the computer and pull the last 5-10 minutes of data. Throttle position, brake pedal application percentage, etc. As long as the PSM is not ruined, they can find out exactly what was going on.

There is some sort of black box on all newer cars. You can plug into the computer and pull the last 5-10 minutes of data. Throttle position, brake pedal application percentage, etc. As long as the PSM is not ruined, they can find out exactly what was going on.

I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that onboard EDRs (electronic data or event recorders) in most recent cars record information for only a few seconds before, during, and after an air-bag deployment event...still sufficient information to analyze a crash, but not minutes of data. Unlike the black boxes on airplanes, which continually record data including audio and system performance, the cars’ recorders capture only the few seconds surrounding a crash or air bag deployment. A separate device extracts the data, which is then analyzed through computer software. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/business/black-boxes-in-cars-a-question-of-privacy.html?_r=0

However, some insurers are offering customers a cousin of the EDR, which tracks how a car is driven over a long period, so volunteer participants may qualify for lower rates.

Apparently the Carrera GT Walker died in did have an onboard EDR. In a statement to E!, Los Angeles County Sheriff's detective Jeff Maag said he hopes to secure a warrant to read what is on the car's event data recorder.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I think that there are now black boxes going into cars, but Bill is right, the airbag systems and maybe the OBD2 systems did act as a rudimentry black box. If I'm right on that, my 16 year old Jeep should have that ability too so long as the broken clock spring, which has disabled the bags, and much more annoyingly, the horn and cruise control, didn't disable that too.

I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that onboard EDRs (electronic data or event recorders) in most recent cars record information for only a few seconds before, during, and after an air-bag deployment event...still sufficient information to analyze a crash, but not minutes of data. Unlike the black boxes on airplanes, which continually record data including audio and system performance, the cars’ recorders capture only the few seconds surrounding a crash or air bag deployment. A separate device extracts the data, which is then analyzed through computer software. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/business/black-boxes-in-cars-a-question-of-privacy.html?_r=0

However, some insurers are offering customers a cousin of the EDR, which tracks how a car is driven over a long period, so volunteer participants may qualify for lower rates.

Apparently the Carrera GT Walker died in did have an onboard EDR. In a statement to E!, Los Angeles County Sheriff's detective Jeff Maag said he hopes to secure a warrant to read what is on the car's event data recorder.

I exaggerated the amount of time. There is a madated data storage like you mentioned for airbag or other SRS system deployments. When I was with Jaguar, at any given time, we could view the last 10? seconds of of data, not just when there was an airbag deployment. There are aftermarket tuning programs for some manufacturers that let you data log and stuff. There are ways to get the info out of the car.

3 seconds is not long enough IMO, that could just show braking application and not reveal the full story. Throttle position, gear position, etc.

a friend of mine in high school got caught this way, this was in 2000 I think. His dad bought him an Integra GSR. He blew the motor. Swore up and down it wasn't his fault. Shop pulled the data and showed something like 100% throttle going from 1st to second, but second never engaged. He basically revved out and blew the motor. These things are tremendously helpful is assigning blame or clearing someones name.

I really hope they determine that this was just a freak accident and not the result of someone being careless. Although going that fast in an industrial park isn't very intelligent.

Edited by Quick GMC

• 2 weeks later...