Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

The "S" word...

Harry P.

We were supposed to get a "dusting" today... maybe an inch. It's been snowing most of the afternoon, and it looks like way more than a "dusting." More like 3-4 inches. Not too bad in and of itself... but I am literally running out of places to throw this stuff!

Why don't you fill up the trunk of your car with all that snow and dump it out in the country ? :rolleyes:

Cliff_Clavin_in_Cheers1_zpsd1b05583.jpg

Lake-effect snow is uncommon in Detroit, Toledo, Milwaukee , and Chicago , because the region's dominant winds are from the northwest, making them upwind from their respective Great Lakes. However , they too can see lake-effect snow during easterly or north-easterly winds. More frequently , the north side of a low-pressure system picks up more moisture over the lakes as it travels west. , creating a phenomenon called lake-enhanced precipitation

Why don't you fill up the trunk of your car with all that snow and dump it out in the country ? :rolleyes:

Because I drive a Mustang, and the trunk is about as big as a shoebox!

Cliff_Clavin_in_Cheers1_zpsd1b05583.jpg

Lake-effect snow is uncommon in Detroit, Toledo, Milwaukee , and Chicago , because the region's dominant winds are from the northwest, making them upwind from their respective Great Lakes. However , they too can see lake-effect snow during easterly or north-easterly winds. More frequently , the north side of a low-pressure system picks up more moisture over the lakes as it travels west. , creating a phenomenon called lake-enhanced precipitation

Thanks for the info, Cliff! :lol:

ok... so you are near the coast, to the east of the lake, right? That's prime "lake effect" real estate. You guys ALWAYS get way more snow than anyone else. Same with everyone that lives on the receiving side of the winds moving over a large lake, like Cleveland and Buffalo.

Yeah-That's what I was thinking too....

Edited by von Zipper

We were supposed to get a "dusting" today... maybe an inch. It's been snowing most of the afternoon, and it looks like way more than a "dusting." More like 3-4 inches. Not too bad in and of itself... but I am literally running out of places to throw this stuff!

Seems like we got enough to shut down any state south of the Mason-Dixon line............again.

:lol:

I still have to laugh that Atlanta was literally paralyzed by two inches of snow.

And yet, we've been getting 2-3 times as much per week for over a month now and it's been spaced out by 0º temps and have been more annoyed by it than anything else.

I have heard that there are conspiracy theories coming out of that area that it wasn't real snow, but "Another Act of Northern Aggression"........................

Edited by Joe Handley

Day four without electricity. Snow tonight.

I was lucky here in Exton. We lost power from 5am to 5pm on Wednesday. We didn't see any damage from our house, but were amazed once we had TV and saw the devastation in the area. There are areas around here that are still dark, just luck of the draw! When I was driving home from work on Thursday, a lot of areas were dark, including the area with all the hotels and gas stations near the turnpike entrance. The hotel lots were full of cars so there were a lot of people camping out there in the dark. When I left for work on Friday, many of those areas were lit up, so the crews were working all night. I was watching Philadelphia news tonight and they were showing power crews from Quebec working on the local lines. I was in NJ today and on my way back every hotel parking lot was full of power crew trucks.

I still have to laugh that Atlanta was literally paralyzed by two inches of snow.

You should have been here in '08 when we got 8" of snow by my house. The average in Henderson was 6" that time. It created a traffic jam similar to Atlanta's on our Eastern Ave. That one beat the record of 5" set in the mid 70's.

G

You should have been here in '08 when we got 8" of snow by my house. The average in Henderson was 6" that time. It created a traffic jam similar to Atlanta's on our Eastern Ave. That one beat the record of 5" set in the mid 70's.

G

We set a record in Phoenix that year when we heard about your snow!

It's not the amount of snow that had things mixed up in Atlanta, it was the thousands of motorists and vehicles that converged on the roadways at the same time. The plow trucks didn't get the roads treated and ready for the traffic and the politicians wanted to blame the weatherman for not telling them!

I was lucky here in Exton. We lost power from 5am to 5pm on Wednesday. We didn't see any damage from our house, but were amazed once we had TV and saw the devastation in the area. There are areas around here that are still dark, just luck of the draw! When I was driving home from work on Thursday, a lot of areas were dark, including the area with all the hotels and gas stations near the turnpike entrance. The hotel lots were full of cars so there were a lot of people camping out there in the dark. When I left for work on Friday, many of those areas were lit up, so the crews were working all night. I was watching Philadelphia news tonight and they were showing power crews from Quebec working on the local lines. I was in NJ today and on my way back every hotel parking lot was full of power crew trucks.

Day 5 without electric. Just the luck of the draw I suppose. Saying 58,000 remain without power and abington,Montgomery county is 18,000 of them ? I have friends in horsham who ha theirs restored Friday and huntingdon valley this morning. Soon I hope....

We finally managed to get some snow, 8"inches of it this weekend (started Friday)

I love driving in the snow after the first day and a half..

It gets all the Idjits off the road or puts them in the ditches..

The only poeple left are the ones that know how to drive and have the right cars w/the right tires and a few of the Idjits that haven't

hit the ditch yet.

My Car more than Excels in this weather.

AWD and studded tires.. Not enought Hp to get into too much trouble but enought to cruise like a summer day. :D

Plenty of City Alerts to use Public Transportation.. Max Lines froze up, Busses getting stuck.. Yaa RIght..

After all the Crashes this city had, it will all be gone by Monday afternoon..

My WInter Beast.

1231138_10202583692825135_789049641_n.jp