Model Cars Magazine Forum

''OLD 16'' 1906 LOCOMOBILE RACER in 1/16 scale

never in a million years-but im glad theres a few of us out here! Just got my big Deuce today-wow is this thing huge.

Looking forward to seeing you building that one. The multi Hundson kits on eBay got away from me, I just did not want to bid any further, they went f/$180.00 :o , but whoever got them I believe got 7 pristene Hudson kits. Am now watching the 2 combo Old 16 kits, are you wanting to buy them, I see someone else is watching them as well.

Wow -that was a ''collectors price'' for the combo pack- the 2 OLD 16s I did not bid on-they look incomplete.

Yes, I thought the same as well........have noticed the prices climbing.......I hate I missed out on the set of 7, I almost went 200.00 but just stopped after I saw that the 2 who were in a bidding war did not seem to stop. Itala came in the mail today........nice kit f/parts.

B)

Parts are coming together, a pristine HM Old 16, a Itala, a Mercer and some goodies from Micro-Mark......waited for the Spring Catalog, got free ship code for the chain and gears. ^_^

I want to build this famous racer as she looked when 1st raced.

That way, I will be building a some-what different look to this ole gal than your build.

Rick B)

Top-342_edited-1_zpsae8b9a3e.jpgheres LOCOMOBILE #1 it was also in the 08 Vanderbilt but finished 3rd after Lytles Isotta. driver was Joe Florida. the car was almost exactly identical to OLD 16. supposedly about 70 percent of this car in the form of parts was in the hands of Peter Helck-came as spares when he acquired OLD 16. it is being re-created in Connecticut not far from the original Locomobile Factory!

check out the guy with the bearskin coat and the flower pot hat!

Edited by f1ford48

But w/o a doubt this is my favorite photo............you better not scare me again!

prewar-racing-49_jpg_1906_vanderbilt_cup

I think your first car #1 looks like an ALCO-maybe its a later ''stock'' Locomobile . the #7 is the Gordon Bennett Loco redone . and #12 is OLD 16 as it ran in 1906. Joe Tracy at the wheel.

Edited by f1ford48

I think your first car #1 is an ALCO-notice the same lines as the Black Beast---the plate is a pre-state Cal. around 1910. . the #7 is the Gordon Bennett Loco revamped .[which actually had a BIGGER Engine than OLD 16-17 plus liters!] and #12 is actually OLD 16 as it ran in 1906. Joe Tracy at the wheel with A

Grand Dame that must have been in the upper 1%

Edited by f1ford48

I know- x3......got real busy with 1/1 scale projects. the photos have been collected for years from Locomobile searches on the web.

I am working on more Vanderbilt era racers . but my policy is to collect all of the parts I need before starting the project- basically the same for my 1/1 projects. the ALCO black Beast has lots of potential for another curbside...........................................................................................................

• 2 weeks later...