Model Cars Magazine Forum

What racing film would you put up against RUSH ?

Let's start with this ; Please don't tack this on to the already fine, review / Discussion of the film in the thread below http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80117

My question here, and I believe it should stand alone, is what movie do you think would stand up to the new Ron Howard film Rush? and why?

I have always enjoyed 'Le Mans' with Steve McQueen. Had it on VHS and now on DVD, and this reminds me that I have not watched it in a long time!

In my opinion there are few movies about racing that capture it in a realistic way, and the movie is free of "Hollywood embellishments'.

Le Mans is the only one I bought. I thoroughly enjoyed Rush - saw it twice at the theater - the real events happened during my youth and when I was an avid F1 fan. I will add the Bluray to my collection when it comes out.

Edited by BrianC

I don't know why we have this new topic while there's another current one, but...

Haven't seen "Rush" yet, but the video should arrive shortly.

Even though I don't like "Le Mans" because I think it's a lousy movie in terms of drama, I occasionally watch it for the racing part. I think it was a write-off tax deal for McQueen to follow his racing star. The documentary "Senna" is the best racing movie in history; if it doesn't move you, you have a heart of stone. "Grand Prix" can't be beat for visual and multichannel sound greatness (in 70 mm curved-screen Cinerama, pretty much the same as IMAX) made in 1967, with remote-control, car-mounted cameras, set the standard for the car cameras we can enjoy today in live races.

Another good one is "A Man and a Woman," a 1960's French movie about a Ford of Europe test driver, mostly heavy on romance but with some cool race and driving stuff, plus a GT40 at Le Mans.

I will agree that, having attended the 1968 British and French Grand Prix races, most movies don't capture the high-pitched, ear-splitting scream of those cars.

Edited by sjordan2

"The documentary "Senna" is the best racing movie in history; if it doesn't move you, you have a heart of stone."

I'm not a guy for documentaries but I loved this movie so much and Skip is right,you might be soulless if the movie has no effect on you.

I don't know why we have this new topic while there's another current one, but...

Haven't seen "Rush" yet, but the video should arrive shortly.

"Grand Prix" can't be beat for visual and multichannel sound greatness (in 70 mm curved-screen Cinerama, pretty much the same as IMAX) made in 1967, with remote-control, car-mounted cameras, set the standard for the car cameras we can enjoy today in live races.

Another good one is "A Man and a Woman," a 1960's French movie about a Ford of Europe test driver, mostly heavy on romance but with some cool race and driving stuff, plus a GT40 at Le Mans.

I will agree that, having attended the 1968 British and French Grand Prix races, most movies don't capture the high-pitched, ear-splitting scream of those cars.

Grand Prix was awesome. Milwaukee had only one of those 70mm curved screen houses, The Southgate. Long gone as well as the shopping center it was in off the same name. My dad took me to it.

I have not seen Le Mans and I am a big McQueen fan Rush is the best period and the new kid on the block. I remember when Days of Thunder came out. I loved it on the big screen but not dvd now. Someday a movie will come out better then Rush. Right now nothing is even close...

I'm thinking "Winning".That's a film film in which the racing action is decidedly secondary to the story line like "Rush"."LeMans" has by far the best racing scenes,"Grand Prix"'s cinematography is first rate,if a little too 60s self indulgent artsy.But no movie combines both great racing action with a decent storyline.

The late actor Paul Newman was asked if there was ever a racing movie combining a great story with great racing action.He said no,commenting that any movie was going to have one or the other characteristic,not both."Rush" come the closest but,for my taste, the racing scenes could have been longer.

The movie that comes the closest to combining the two elements is "The World's Fastest Indian" starring Anthony Hopkins about Burt Munro and his efforts to run his motorcycle at Bonneville.

Edited by ZTony8

What, no love for "Days of Thunder"? :D I gotta say, as a 13-year-old growing up in a NASCAR town (Martinsville. VA) that one was pretty high up there at the time. After viewing it as an adult, eh... not so much.

Best racing movie I've ever seen, as others have mentioned, is the Senna documentary. Haven't seen Rush yet, but I plan on it.

Too many to choose from. The Crowd Roars with Jimmy Cagney. It has some incredible stuff of 1930's racing ,including Legion Ascot. Mickey Rooney The Big Wheel, 1940's racing action. Winning and Grand Prix . Just a few of the ones that I like. It isn't the story for me as much as it is the old racing footage. Those guys were brave.

La Cerrara Pan America - Nick Mason of Pink Floyd fame, put together this documentary on the famous race and a 80's re-run of the event. The visuals mixed with the Pink Floyd music are awesome.

Love the Beast - Actor Eric Bana goes home to Australia and preps his childhood car for full road racing in the Tazmanian Rally. Documentary again. Anyone that has ever loved a car should see this. Plus the Jeremy Clarkson parts are hilarious.