Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack DM600 yard goat

Hallo all

Hey Tim thanks a lot for this advice, now I understand a bit more about Mack trucks and how the different types were used.

Hey Alain because of which reason do you think that this tires are not right for the truck? I decided to use them because they fit on 20 inch rims and they are bigger then the one from AMT. The tires from AMT look too small to me.

I started with the paint. First coat is revels rust brown and then blue for the frame and hood. And orange for the cab and the rims. After some days of drying I will start with the work fo a used look for this truck with rust, oil and dirt.

SAM_0810.JPG

SAM_0811.JPG

SAM_0814.JPG

SAM_0815.JPG

So long

Arnd

Edited by Arnd

Hallo all

I went on this weekend with the paint. Everything is ready expecting the cab and all the parts need some days for drying before I start with the weathering and “oldering”.

Just some impressions form the painted parts

SAM_0823.JPG

SAM_0824.JPG

The lifting fifth wheel came to the shop.

SAM_0817.JPG

SAM_0819.JPG

SAM_0820.JPG

SAM_0825.JPG

That’s all for now. I hope to have some time next week to work on the cab and engine.

So long

Arnd

Hi all

Here some more shots of my Mack. I changed the tires with some from AMT for a test, I am not really happy with them but let see how it come together.

SAM_08271.JPG

SAM_08281.JPG

Here some shots from the cab being painted:

SAM_0832.JPG

SAM_0833.JPG

SAM_0834.JPG

SAM_0835.JPG

I wait some hours for drying and then came the last paint part: some spots all over with flat clear varnish and on both doors I have to make some spots with light gray to simulate the repainted or covered ex company name.

So long

Arnd

There is no way all the tires would match on a yard dog. It would have the worst of the worst tires, those that would barely hold air. Likely some taken off a trailer that had locked up an axle and flat-spotted. Recaps that had started to delaminate. Bent and damaged wheels. No mud flaps. Broken or cracked windows with BB gun damage. Maybe a dented cab from a jacknife accident, which is why it got demoted to yard dog.

Jarda this is a quite interesting question. I am not sure but perhaps I misunderstood the real meaning of the word “yard goat”. In my opinion it is an old truck used in a yard for moving around trailers which are loaded, unloaded or repaired. That will mean that the truck is used nearly every day with a lot of trailers and this means a lot of grease came on to the fifth wheel.

It all depends on the company. Roadway wouldve greased it no matter if it were a goat or not. Ive worked for companies that used old trucks and goats to move trailers and they were greased, and ive worked where they didnt

The build is lookin fantastic man, well done so far

Here is the last work for this weekend. I started with the interior. The door panels were reworked and some details added. The steering parts were put together and fixed in place. I hope to get some time and paint it.

SAM_1157.JPG

SAM_2058.JPG

SAM_2059.JPG

And one from the front tire looks quite used.

SAM_2060.JPG

By the way the next step will be the engine. Must a DD have this strange color? This green-blue or blue-green I am not sure what it is. Looking through some pictures in the internet a DD can be green red silver blue and so on… What would be an accurate paint for ?

SAM_2061.JPG

So long

Arnd

Edited by Arnd