Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Chevy Corvette L-82 Coupe (Doyusha 1/12) WIP (Back on the bench!)

Jordan White

I've been trying to determine for a while how I wanted to build this kit, and I finally decided to build it factory stock. I'm not really a fan of doing this in smaller scale, but in large scale it seems a bit more interesting since you can easily add more detail.

The kit is the Doyusha 1/12 scale 1978 Corvette that I got a while back. It's a '78 based on (besides the license plate on the box top) the seats and the single-snorkel intake ('79 models had different split-back seats and dual-snorkel intakes on both engines). The engine as modeled is the base L-48 5.7 liter (350ci) making around 185hp, while the engine I'm going to be replicating is the uplevel L-82 5.7 liter making around 220hp (it also has the aforementioned dual-snorkel intake).

Problem is, with these Doyusha/Otaki kits, the engines are somewhat off in their proportions. Could be because they didn't have a real one to model after, or more likely because these kits were able to be motorized (full detail, however the driveshaft is hinged to rotate and the rear axle is designed as one piece with larger differential to fit a geared axle). Because of this, I decided to use the engine and transmission out of the recently released Foose Camaro kit. The 302 is just a 327/350 block with a 283 crankshaft, so visually it will be exactly the same. I will be using a few parts from the Doyusha engine, such as the exhaust manifolds and distributor.

Another issue that I'll have to deal with is from the other build I've seen, it appears that the rear end sits a little low, and the track width on both the front and rear is a tad too narrow.

Anyways, on to the pics!

The kit:

SDC11907.jpg

The engine and transmission so far:

SDC11909.jpg

SDC11910.jpg

I figured it would be easier to paint and detail if the transmission is separated from the engine.

Oh, and the color I'm going with is, of course, Corvette Yellow! B)

Edited by Jordan White

Attempted to convert the standard style 4-bbl carb intake from the '67 Corvette kit to fit the small block, but it just wasn't working out like I had hoped. Ended up ordering a 4-bbl intake kit from TDR innovations which should arrive in a couple weeks. In the meantime, I've been fixing where the transmission mounts to the engine to make it a bit more consistent. I've also ordered a can of Corvette Yellow spray paint from an automotive touch up paint site, it's a 12oz can for 20 bucks that is the exact color of the real car (also ordered another can in a different color for another build).

• 1 year later...

Alright, I've decided to get this project back on the bench! I did eventually receive the intake manifold parts from Shapeways, and had to modify the block and heads for it to fit.

I also found out that the valve covers from the Camaro kit are exactly the same ones that are found on the '78 Corvette.

Finally, here's the actual wheel fitted into the kit tire.

I`ll be watching this thread. I agree with you on the proportions. Alot of weirdness with the kit engine. I was debating back-dating this kit to a `68 or `69 if I ever get time to build again.

If you have need during your build, I have an assembled one of these if you want me to snap some pics from different angles.