Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 32 Ford roadster

58 Impala

It's a pretty good kit, as I remember. The rivet counters would probably be able to find fault, with it. It's an old tooling, from the early 60's, I believe. It has stock parts & IIRC, it's a "metal axle" kit. The Revell 32 Fords are better but can't be built stock, out of the box.

The thing to keep in mind about the AMT bodies is that due to the molding design of the fenders, all of the Deuce bodies are sectioned. The overall height of the body from the lower body lines to the upper belt line is to short for a stock body.

Yes, the body shells of all the AMT '32s are too short (vertically) at the firewall, but it's not really due to the fender design...just an incorrect scaling job by AMT for whatever reason. The Revell bodies, which ARE correct heightwise, more or less, will fit the AMT fenders pretty well.

This shows how much too short the AMT body (on right) is compared to the Revell body. ALL the AMT and Revell shells share these dimensions.

DSCN0584_zpsf5e5fe72.jpg

More on the AMT height problems and corrections here: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/?showtopic=78983

This is the primary reason i did the "wedge" channel job on the model in post 10.

Here are 2 more looks from the same kit.

DSCN1111.jpg

DSCN4051.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

It's a pretty good kit, as I remember. The rivet counters would probably be able to find fault, with it.

Having purchased the exact issue pictured, I would suggest running, not walking, away from this kit. Other than the early Hemi valve covers, there wasn't anything inside I would complement. AMT's horrid Rally GT tires were present, the body character line is so thick it casts its own shadow (no exaggeration-- look at the box art model), and the entire kit has that "meh, close enough" feel to it. The brown plastic color didn't help, either, but even if it was free, I would pass on it, and suggest Tom does the same. The Revell kit is a far better starting point IMHO.

In spite of its inaccuracies, I love this old kit, which originally came out in 1959. In 1960 it was re-released with an opening rumble seat and side mount spare tires — that's the kit that was the basis for all subsequent reissues. It's undergone many minor changes to accessory parts, especially wheels and tires. It can be a simple fun build, but later issues need more parts cleanup than the early issues.

Here are two I've built, one a detailed late '40s channeled hot rod and an early '60s style simple build with no added detail, just a change in body angle, painted flames, modified up top, '59 Ford steering wheel and, later, with '57 Olds wheelcovers.

322lr-vi.jpg32LR1-vi.jpg

Here's the model above as originally built “out-of-the-box”, shown with its chopped 5-window shelfmate.

Deuce3-vi.jpg

Blue32_12-vi.jpg

Blue32_15-vi.jpg