Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project for Skip: 1914 Stutz Bearcat

Harry P.

The front springs were built the same way as the rears. However, the way the springs mount to the front axle is slightly different than the way they mount on the rear axle. The front axle has wide spots or flanges on the top. The springs and axle are held together by U bolts that come down over the springs, through the flanges on the axle, and then they are bolted in place from below. Here you can see those flanges that I had to add to the front axle.

42_zps7c2d99e4.jpg

41_zps54d10ab5.jpg

I guess we're talking about the most detailed and accurate Bearcat build ever done from kits.

Nah. Not even close. Let's just call it a "well detailed" Bearcat. :D

BTW... lots of progress. Glue is drying, I want to let things sit overnight. New pix tomorrow.

just like the real deal. if you are going this far you may want to include the clamps that hold the spring in alignment...

If this was 1/8 scale, yes. But at such a small scale, I can live with a few compromises. I guess I could always add them. Yeah, you're right... I have to add them.

I'm definitely taking a few shortcuts here... I save my crazy detailing for my 1/8 scale models! :D

It's beginning to look like a car. Still tons to do... exhaust manifold, shocks, trim around the dash/firewall, steering column and steering box in the engine compartment, just to name a few. But I figured I'd show you my progress up to this point. Ignore the rubber band "clamp"... glue is literally still wet!

45_zpsef105440.jpg

Because the Aurora kit I'm using as my base is a curbside, all the underhood detail is either pieces from other kits or scratchbuilt. Here you can see the scratchbuilt water pump, cooling fan, and lower radiator hose connection. The step plates on the sides of the cockpit are styrene strip that I covered with foil.

46_zpseb4cd0b7.jpg

In case you're wondering why the grille shell is painted and not brass plated, I like the looks of the cars from this era with a little less bling. This is the look I'm after...

47_zpsfb267bc4.jpg

I really like the "less bling" red radiator. It just seems more original and less restored, though there really isn't a difference in authenticity. But I do think the monocle windscreen would be a nice and accurate touch.

Edited by sjordan2

I just noticed something else-the plate on the floor below throttle spoon. it actually is an indented casting to hold your heel because the throttle spoon is so close to the floor. heres a pic. Radiator looks great and is correct - most Bearcats had painted radiator shells but they were brass underneath.

post-12926-0-59580000-1392598216_thumb.j

heres a little Stutz trivia for you guys.[cant help myself] the car in the photo Harry posted above was a Harrah Collection car. now in the National Automobile Museum in Reno. I saw it at the Ironstone concours 2 years ago and talked with the caretaker. if you look close you will notice the wheels and chassis are a different shade of red than the hood and body.the caretaker said that is how they were originally. he also told me that the cars were originally hand painted. pre spraygun era! Just for fun.......FS