Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project for Skip: 1914 Stutz Bearcat

Harry P.

I own exactly four full bottles of Testors green enamel, and have no idea what to do with them.

:lol:

I know what you mean. I have one of those sets of "basic" colors from Testors... the one with the little bottles of blue, red, yellow, green, white, etc... and the little bottle of thinner. I don't remember why (or when) I bought the set, and I never thought I'd need that green either. But the day has finally come!

The spark plugs are made of three pieces each. The body (the insulator part) of the plug is aluminum tubing. The hex-shaped part is hex-shaped styrene rod that I drilled out and slid over the aluminum tubing. Then I painted the hex-shaped part silver and the insulator of the plug off white, and of course finished with a Future/acrylic black wash. Finally, the electrode is brass rod slipped into the aluminum rod (the "insulator" part of the plug).

33_zpsc1db3ab8.jpg

The highly simplified Lindberg engine doesn't have a water pump, so I again raided the Fuman Mercer kit. However, while the highly-detailed Fuman Mercer kit had the water pump driveshaft, it doesn't include the actual water pump! Looking at the Fuman instructions, the end of the shaft where the pump would attach just sort of hangs there in space!

The only online photo I could find that showed the water pump was of a Mercer engine, but since the Mercer and Stutz engines are so visually and mechanically similar, I copied the Mercer pump and scratchbuilt one. The lower radiator hose, that connects the radiator and water pump, will be added later, once the engine and radiator are installed on the chassis.

36_zpsb3d7781e.jpg

Because the Aurora Stutz is a curbside kit and has no engine, it also has no "back side" radiator detail, just the outer shell. So once again I raided the Fuman Mercer kit. The Mercer radiator fits the Stutz shell with just a little trimming along the sides. I added some scrap styrene as spacers between the outer shell and the radiator:

37_zpsa8742531.jpg

:lol:

I know what you mean. I have one of those sets of "basic" colors from Testors... the one with the little bottles of blue, red, yellow, green, white, etc... and the little bottle of thinner. I don't remember why (or when) I bought the set, and I never thought I'd need that green either. But the day has finally come!

I recently scored a whole box of paint at a thrift store, and there were three bottles of Testors green paint, all unopened. Somewhere else, I had found another bottle of Testors green, making my total stash of 4 bottles.

Of all the Testors colors, this green must be the slowest seller of them all!

Wow Harry thats some outstanding work.

I hate to ask after your this far along but.

How did you get the bend in those leaf springs?

Good question!

I first cut all the leaves, using the kit springs as a guide for the lengths of the leaves.Then I centered the second leaf on the first (longest) leaf and glued just one end of it to the lower (longest) leaf. Then I put those two leaves in place between the mounting points on the chassis. Because the longest leaf is longer than the distance between the front and rear mount, it's forced into an arc shape when you place the leaf between the front and rear mounts. So now that I have the correct arc of the spring created "automatically," I glue the other end of the second leaf in place on the first leaf, using liquid cement to flow the cement between the two leaves. Once that sets, the arc of the spring is "locked in".... so I can take it off the chassis and add the rest of the leaves.

Good question!

I first cut all the leaves, using the kit springs as a guide for the lengths of the leaves.Then I centered the second leaf on the first (longest) leaf and glued just one end of it to the lower (longest) leaf. Then I put those two leaves in place between the mounting points on the chassis. Because the longest leaf is longer than the distance between the front and rear mount, it's forced into an arc shape when you place the leaf between the front and rear mounts. So now that I have the correct arc of the spring created "automatically," I glue the other end of the second leaf in place on the first leaf, using liquid cement to flow the cement between the two leaves. Once that sets, the arc of the spring is "locked in".... so I can take it off the chassis and add the rest of the leaves.

Thanks Harry you da man.

I would of never thought of that.

Your skill are extraordinary.

Got the frame and rear axle assembly painted, and the rear axle installed. This is the Aurora Stutz frame, the Lindberg Stutz rear axle, and scratchbuilt springs. I still have to do the wash on the rear axle and springs to bring out the molded-in detail:

38_zpsebd20dca.jpg

I've also been working on the dash. The kit gauges are flat in front... no detail, and no gauge decals. So I added bezels by slicing thin rings off a length of brass tubing, painted the gauge faces white and drew the details on with a superfine sharpie. Gauge "glass" is 5-minute epoxy. I also added details to the odometer, and other details, following reference photos:

39_zpsa964445f.jpg

The back side of the dash is very visible when you open the hood, so I detailed that, also. The various wires will be routed once the dash is installed:

40_zps64d15324.jpg