Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Ford Starliner field find

Baugher Garage

Thank you Stan! This is the first time I've tried flat tires. There are a few tutorials on here and I tried their techniques. I'm sure I'll get better at it.

I started by sanding the tire to get it rough and worn looking. Then I used a small hand saw to cut two vertical cuts into the tread along the inner and outer sidewalls, not quite all the way through. The with a small razor knife, I cut across the tread to remove the section between the cut lines. After than, I held the tire over a lit candle to heat the rubber, and pressed it onto a hard flat surface to flatten the sidewalls. This took several attempts. I ultimately headed the blade of the knife and used it to shape the rubber to spread the sidewalls out so they would stay in place. Kinda like frosting a cake. I'll try to get some pics of the process next time I do another flat.

The result is more like a tire that's rotted from sitting, rather than simply gone flat from a leak.

Your abandoned Impala is looking really great!

Thanks Mike,I'll give it a go...

Thank you all! I'm hoping I can wire the distributor with some small gauge wire I have. I experimented last night, but it wasn't flexible enough and kept popping of... not the end of the world if it doesn't work out, but I'd love to add that detail without purchasing a prewired dist.

Edited by Baugher Garage

I am not buying this for a second. Mike found an actual '60 Starliner rotting away in a field and he's trying to pass it off as his 1/25 work. ;)

Seriously, I can't get over this. It just blows my mind how realistic this is. I can't put it into words. Awesome job!