Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opinions needed. Opening doors

Hey guys. I am starting a build for a local contest/ show in April. They are having a 50 yrs of mustang class with an award for best mustang. Soooo, since I am a mustang but with several 1:1s guess what I am going for? Lol.

Anyway. My question is this. What do you guys prefer open one door on a build or do both as not to look lazy? I have drivers door pretty much working in under an hour but I just need some input. I only have 2 months and some of you have seen my bee and it's been nearly a yr in progress lol

If you are going to open the doors, make sure they are done well. I have dealt with folks who opened doors for contest models and where shocked they did not even place. I kindly explained to them, after they asked me why, that if they had done it properly and not with a hot butter knife, they may have placed better.

So yes, neatness counts, alot!

So far I have scribed the drivers open, shaved the edges for a thinner appearance, thinned the rear of the fender and have added thin styrene back around the door edge to tighten the gap yet still allow for paint. Does that take me out of butter knife status? Lol

I must add that I hinged it to open into the fender like the 1:1

I agree with Bill, Tulio & Skip. If you open any door, open them all. Otherwise, it just won't look 'right.'

But an important thing to keep in mind, from a judging perspective: Opening every door, hatch, or feature on a model will not make it a contest winner if the basics are missing. The basics are clean, careful preparation and craftsmanship in construction. Be certain all the mold parting lines and injection pin marks are eliminated. Be certain the pre-paint preparation is smooth and flawless before carefully applying smooth, flawless finish coats. Be certain all trim is appropriately and neatly finished (chrome chromed, satin finish components finished smoothly and uniformly, etc.). Be certain tires look like tires, not molded vinyl toy parts. Be certain tires all touch the table top and the model sits square (doesn't lean or sag). Be certain windows are clear and unblemished by glue. Be certain soft parts look like soft parts and shiny paint is smooth, unblemished and . . . shiny!

In short, the cardinal rule is that no amount of opening gizzies or flashing lights or bright-colored paint or other gimmicks will overcome a sloppily built model.