Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 Chevy 210 from 1969

rmvw guy

This is the way most '55 Chevy daily drivers looked in the snow belt in 1969. This was mine I purchased for $300 with the intentions of building a Drag Car. I had been tearing up my new at the time, '69 Nova at the local Drag Strip and decided it was time to build a car just for this purpose. Little did I know Uncle Sam had different plans for me. Almost exactly 30 days after this purchase I entered the US Army. The Nova was sold but, this car sadly was parked by my Mom's garage for 2 years. I had just started to work on it removing the bumpers to find a big surprise, more rust. DSC06435_zps5605ff2a.jpgI started with this kit.DSC06450_zpsfed93de3.jpgThis was what I wound up with after 3 days.DSC06436_zpsd3c10ede.jpgDSC06461_zpse8cebcdb.jpg

Thanks guys! I forgot to mention the paints I used. These are Anita's all purpose Acrylics purchased from Hobby Lobby for 30 cents a bottle on sale. I custom mixed the blue color to match my photo as close as I could. They are very easy to use and I am happy with the result so far after painting two models. I spray Testors clear or dullcoat over at the end. A small amount can be squeezed from the bottle on to a brush for small parts. I used my airbrush for the body. Best part is easy clean up with water. Any questions please ask. Oh yeah, and no primer was used.DSC06475_zps8a8c7b62.jpg

Edited by rmvw guy

1st of all....u nailed it....did u spray that craft paint thru ur airbrush???...if u did what did u thin it with... B)

Thanks Neal, Yes I did spray it through my airbrush after it was thinned with a few drops of water. Very easy to use and easy clean up. Also it drys very fast and process can be accelerated with a hair dryer.

Edited by rmvw guy

ron i tried to spray that once thinned it with water and it made a mess in my air gun... B)

No problem for me really, I have a single action Paasche with only two pieces to clean, very easy with just water or window cleaner. I'm finding these paints very friendly and easy to use. If you have ever worked with water colors, that's what it kind of reminds me of.

Thank you for your Service Ron.

Great story behind the '55 build

and the "Time and Money" black '55.

great story and builds-appreciate your service

What service? That was my first thought. lol Thanks guys. I was part of a miss guided generation, from our fearless leader Richard Nixon on down. My hero now is Uncle Si on Duck Dynasty, I feel like I served with him. I can relate to the snakes and reptiles in Louisania since that's where I got my Infantry training. My Wife and I are catching up on the past seasons after just recently discovering the show. I might be a Redneck. Redneck logic: Just Blow It Up. :lol:

Edited by rmvw guy

nice cars ron ! they remind me of my 55 also bought in 1969! but I only gave 50.00 for mine! I have posted pics of mine that I still own in the 1.1 section! nice rust on the first one! by the way im a duck dynasty fan to! si is the man!

Thanks guys, $50 would have probably have been about right for this one but, I did get $300 for it when I sold it. All I lost was the little bit of work I put into it. I had to move on to a Harley Chopper when I returned home to feel the freedom of the wind blowing through my beard. lol

Do you have a link you could post to your '55 Glen, I would like to see it?

I found it! Thanks.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81537

Edited by rmvw guy