Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bureau of Land Management Jeep Rubicon

This is the Revell Jeep Rubicon kit.

I saw one of these built up recently using the included "Park Ranger" decals. Looked like a neat kit so I decided to pick one up for myself.

If you are familiar with me then you know I have a thing for green. I decided to do something a little different this time, and thought this was a great subject for a BLM law enforcement rig. The BLM manages tons of land popular with off roaders and a Jeep seems like just the thing to keep them from getting to rowdy.

I whipped up a set of decals on the laser printer and got to work. This is a nice kit, and fits well for the most part. It is a bit odd odd though like the kit designer wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a snap kit or a glue kit. It would be a great kit for someone transitioning from snap kits to glue kits.

I found it was best to snip the long locating rods down to short nubs so they would fit into the retaining holes better, I was gluing everything anyway so all they had to do was help line things up. Other than the lightbar and decals it is built from the box. I drilled out the winch roller lead, but see in the photos I forgot to add a hook (whoops, guess I'm not quite done after all). The lightbar came from the Lindberg Charger. The spindly supports it sits on would be 1 1/2" pipe in 1-1, so maybe spindly looking in scale but should be plenty strong if it was the real thing. I painted the wheels silver to tone down the chrome. The BLM does like to pimp out their rigs, but chrome just seemed like to much bling, aluminum rims seemed more appropriate.

There are lots of little things that one could do to really spiff up this kit, but I think it is pretty nice OOB and I was looking for a nice simple and quick build. Start to finish took me about a week, which is light speed by my standards.

Well enough yacking, on to the photos.

BLMjeep1_zpse4414464.jpg

BLMJeep2_zps16d03032.jpg

BLMjeep3_zpse47d7491.jpg

BLMJeep4_zps1f309a7e.jpg

I think this makes a nice addition to my growing fleet of "tree cops".

group_zps3c535495.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

Thanks, this was a fun kit to build.

Eric, yeah, GSA rigs are a pain in many ways, not least just trying to figure out their little code on the plates G71, G62 etc. I used to have a cheat sheet that gave the classifications but seem to have misplaced it, so much easier to just go with the I plate and be done with it. I'll use a GSA plate for a Park Service Prius (very far down my list of things to build so don't hold your breath). ;)