Model Cars Magazine Forum

What type of "Box Art" do you prefer?

Box Art preference  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What type of "Box Art" do you prefer?

• Picture of real car ?
    • Picture of built up kit?
    • Some form of art work depicting the kit?

As Harry said, I want to see the actual model too, built with the kit parts. An "un-retouched" pic would be ideal but unlikely with some kits. It gives me a better idea of what it will look like completed. There should be at least one actual pic of the model somewhere on the box if there is not one on the box top.

As an example, I just completed a trade with a member here. I got an Accurate Miniatures McLaren M8B kit. The box does not have even a small pic of a completed model. Reading on the forum and the web I've found that this kit has final fit issues. From what I understand most people display it with the body off (nose and tail pieces) to not show the kit flaws. Could that be why AM didn't put a completed model pic on the box???

I knew about this issue before the trade, I wanted the car anyway.

As Harry said, I want to see the actual model too, built with the kit parts. An "un-retouched" pic would be ideal but unlikely with some kits. It gives me a better idea of what it will look like completed. There should be at least one actual pic of the model somewhere on the box if there is not one on the box top.

As an example, I just completed a trade with a member here. I got an Accurate Miniatures McLaren M8B kit. The box does not have even a small pic of a completed model. Reading on the forum and the web I've found that this kit has final fit issues. From what I understand most people display it with the body off (nose and tail pieces) to not show the kit flaws. Could that be why AM didn't put a completed model pic on the box???

I knew about this issue before the trade, I wanted the car anyway.

Hey Jim, Look at the Bottom of the Box. All three of the A.M. M8B Kits have Pictures of built kits there.

• 10 months later...

This is an interesting two-sided thingy. On the one hand, I prefer the stylized illustrations from an aesthetic and emotional standpoint, BUT (big but) I prefer to see how the model actually looks from a "how hard is it going to be to get it to look like the box-art" standpoint.

No way I would have bought the AMT "Sock it to Me" Corvette (expecting it to be a good base for the results I want, anyway) if there had been a decent photo of the front of the thing, and the chassis, on the top of the box. No matter how cool the illustration is, I'd really appreciate seeing a box-stock photo of the built model, big enough to tell how good or bad it really is, on one of the long sides of the box.

This was the last one that really p'd me off. You can NOT build the box-top version shown without aftermarket parts...like wheels and tires. I'd expected everything necessary to be in the box. Nope. Not in the one I bought, anyway.

32FordVickyJalopyStockCar.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

No way I would have bought the AMT "Sock it to Me" Corvette if there had been a good photo of the front of the thing, and the chassis, on the top of the box... not expecting it to be an easy kit to get the results I want, anyway.

You could have asked here and anyone who's built or even seen that kit in, what, the last 40 years could have told about the hideously undersized headlights and the one-piece chassis...and all the rest of it....

I think Bill said just that in the other thread http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97307 and that knowing that he was still in for the kit. ;)

"I knew better. I know these old AMT Vettes have horrible blobular chassis and the nose details are not well-scaled or proportioned. I was disappointed when I opened the box...BUT...it's got some cool parts, nice tires, and will end up being a flip-nose drag car on another old gluebomb-based Vette chassis."

Edited by Greg Myers

You could have asked here and anyone who's built or even seen that kit in, what, the last 40 years could have told about the hideously undersized headlights and the one-piece chassis...and all the rest of it....

Thing is Snake, I KNEW the problems with the old AMT 4-eyed Corvettes, and bought it anyway because I LIKE the box art. I just might have had second thoughts had there been a pic of the model on top to remind me of its shortcomings, rather than the illustration. After the second thoughts, I probably would have bought it anyway.

The kit WILL become something I've been thinking of for a while, without having to hack up a nice Revell '62, which would have cost a lot more than the $11 I paid for the AMT kit on the clearance table.

I'm HAPPY with the AMT kit, as it has some kool old parts and very nice tires. And I like the box illustration so much, I'll probably cut it out and frame it. :D

EDIT: Thanks Greg. You posted just before I did. :)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Honestly I enjoy the drawing/painting of the car on top and then photos of the actual model on the side. I enjoy these because 1. the boxtop (if well drawn/painted) would catch your eye to look at it 2. IMHO, it just looks better. Usual the ones of the actual model look really corny and not attractive. I almost never pick up ones that look corny or fake 3. If it's the "retro packaging" I feel like it brings back memories for many people who built that kit as a kid, although they aren't memories for me, I'm sure it's a real wash of nostalgia when you see the box art 4. It also starts putting ideas into your head and almost makes you want to either make it look like the drawing on top or make it better than the one on top.

In the end, I feel a drawing/painting is a better choice for a boxtop, sure, the actual model is nice. But I enjoy the drawing/painting boxtops more.

Need more options...

I'm not really big on box art, I'd buy a kit in a brown box as long as it gave me a good idea of what I was getting and it adequately protected the model. However box art is here to stay so it might as well be good.

Ideally, I'd like to see:

I prefer drawn / painted box art on the top representative of what can actually be built from the kit inside. However a photo is ok if done right. Unfortunately it often looks toy-like. The Model King has many examples of good box art using actual photos of the model photo shopped into a background to make it more interesting.

Actual photos of the model on the sides so I can see the general quality of the model (shows things like chromed solid headlights vs clear parts).

A diagram of the parts / sprue layout on the back. Round 2 has done this with some of their kits, I would like to see more start doing it.

Edited by Aaronw

I'm torn between the two choices.

Model kits are one of the few items where you don't always see the actual product on the box before you open it. You buy a coffee maker- there's a picture of the actual coffee maker on the box. You buy a model kit... maybe it's a picture of the actual model on the box. Or maybe it's a photo of the actual car. Maybe it's a drawing. I kind of like to see what I'm getting, but on the other hand, some of the old and reissue box art is pretty cool.

I do like Round 2's practice of putting a silhouette image of the parts trees on the bottom of the box- that's certainly better than nothing. I think I have to say my favorite practice is how Moebius has been doing it- a nice, eye-catching painting of the model on the box lid and ends, with photos of the actual model on the sides.

At this point I usually have a pretty good idea of what the kit itself looks like, so I don't need a photo of the built model on the box. About all that tells me is what wheels and tires are in this particular issue. (And sometimes even that isn't accurate.)

I really enjoy good "art" of the subject. Some of those old boxes from the '60s were absolutely beautiful, and still are.