Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri Ford LTL Wrecker into Forest Service Water Tender

• 2 weeks later...

hello Aaron

nice work on that truck. the reworked rear cab wall looks grate. The Cat engine gives to the hole thing a special look diffent to the standard Cummins. Is the engine a resin one?

so Long

Arnd

Edited by Arnd

Arnd, the Cat came from a Revell snap kit. Both the Peterbilt and Kenworth kits have it. Pretty nice detail, not what you expect to see when you hear snap-tite.

The tank has been my hold up, but I think I've got that figured out now... the heat and squish wasn't working for me, I guess PVC can handle 212 degree water just fine because it barely softened at all. On to plan B. :unsure:

• 2 months later...

It has been a while, but still plugging away on this thing. The tank was causing me some trouble, but I finally got it worked out. I used two sizes of PCV pipe, cut the smaller in half lengthwise and glued it to either side of the larger giving me a nice elliptical framework that I wrapped in aluminum roof flashing. The end caps are styrene sheet cut to size. Have some more work to do, but I think it is getting there.

Tank_zps4bd3891f.jpg

Sitting on the frame, it will sit a bit higher once I've worked out a subframe for it.

LTL7_zpsbc394876.jpg

The cab is still loose, I'm waiting to secure it until I have other details in place. The hood will fit better once the cab has been secured.

LTL8_zps3f90d4e6.jpg

LTL9_zpse7929d30.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

The Cat I swiped from the Peterbilt is an easy swap.

LTL10CAT_zps1cb0e100.jpg

LTL11CAT_zpsa5a264f2.jpg

My order from Class A Resin arrived today, not cheap, but very nice stuff. A set of 5 hole rims and 8 drive tires made from a soft rubber like material. I'll probably be using the tires from the kit for the steer axle unless I can find a set of Toyos like those on the 1-1. I've been tinkering with Sketchup with the idea of possibly having a set 3D printed.

LTL12_zpsfb24cffd.jpg