Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Forgotten Ford

Baugher Garage

Just finished this one - well, as finished as it's going to get for now... there's still more weathering that could be done under the hood, and a couple of chrome doohickies to install on the fenders. But it's the weekend and the weather's supposed to be great, so I doubt I touch it for a while... Hope you like it and thanks for looking! * you can see a lot of the in-progress in the Workbench section under 1960 Ford Starliner Field Find.

photo2_zps7973a7f2.jpg

photo3_zps36b1f922.jpg

photo5_zps0823bc82.jpg

photo4_zpsc86c1062.jpg

photo3_zpsf777cac6.jpg

photo1_zps75ee6d23.jpg

photo3_zps44c2e8d7.jpg

photo2_zps3890a74d.jpg

photo23_zps8b8bc075.jpg

photo1_zpsf68d38ee.jpg

Edited by Baugher Garage

Incredible weathering! Very realistic! What method did you use to achieve the ultra realistic finish on the body? A buddy of mine had a '60 Edsel h/t that was in that exact same condition.

Thank you Alan! I saw a tutorial someone posted on the "salt technique" and tried it. My method was a coat of red oxide primer. When that dried, sprayed it with water and sprinkled salt all over the wet surface, lightly in some areas and in clumps in others. Then sprayed it again with a light coat of darker brown primer, and white, almost in a camo style, but feathered edges. Once that was about dry (not quite), I took a toothbrush to it and started brushing off the salt and top coat. Hand rubbed that. Then used some acrylic washes in blues, greens and browns, watered down and with a paint brush. Some chalk pastels in rust colors here and there... in a couple of places I heated the body and pressed a jagged rock into it when still soft to create some dents. I really enjoy the process of weathering a car. I figure man made the car - God made the weathering! I'm trying to recreate what nature has done.

go back and hit those "Starliner" logos with gold; they're anodized and not chrome... if you REALLY want it to depict a worst-case-scenario, grind away the backside of the ribbed rear quarter trim and let it "fold out" from the fender, like MY car's did.... my first "old" car when i was 21....