Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Chrysler New Yorker

StevenGuthmiller

Thanks Froghawk! I've done a little of everything at some point. The scratch building & super detailing has it's place. Depends on what you enjoy doing. I just feel that these old annuals are too precious to do too much cutting & revamping so I like to keep it simple & show myself that a really nice end result can be achieved with a little attention to detail with what the manufacturer gave you to work with.

Steve

No need for that Peter! While I love Mopars, I love anything made between about '55 & '65 equally. :)

Steve

I'm right with you there Steve, don't have any allegiance to any particular brand. In fact my fascination for 50s US cars started with my father and uncles driving Hudsons, Dodges and Fords throughout the era.

Nice build Steve and welcome to the forum. It's great to be able to show your models and get a few responses. Some times there just isn't anyone around to share your passion with. That's what the forum is all about.

That's true Tom. Many years ago, when I was a kid, I had a lot of friends who were builders also. By the time we were all young adults, they had all given up, but I kept up with it. I don't do swap meets & contests, (nothing really happening in my area) So the only ones who ever see my builds are my wife & kids, & believe me, they could care less! So if nothing else, a forum like this can be helpful in at least determining whether or not I'm doing it right. :lol:

Steve

Thanks Russ! Actually, if anybody has any good tips on how to make some nice floor mats, I'm all ears! These were just made on a printer. I googled some photos of carpeting in the color I want & then just using a card making program I have on my computer, I added the "New Yorker" lettering & then printed them onto some card stock. Then just cut them to the shape I wanted. The card making software I have is probably 15 years old & my printer is a "cheapo" so I'm sure with better equipment, a guy could do a nicer job. I just felt these old Johan kits, with their lack of a transmission hump or any other floor detail, could benefit from something to break up the floor a little. Haven't gotten into the "flocking" yet. That's probably the next thing I'll have to start doing.

Steve