Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clear Steering Wheels

StevenGuthmiller

those look very kool. very finely detailed and looks like you polished the rim so the clear is really clear. I had a resin one, used it in a 51 Cheby, but was wondering, did any car actually come with a clear steering wheel? somehow I think maybe a 54 Corvette?

those are very nice, where can one find them besides the cobra kit?

jb

those look very kool. very finely detailed and looks like you polished the rim so the clear is really clear. I had a resin one, used it in a 51 Cheby, but was wondering, did any car actually come with a clear steering wheel? somehow I think maybe a 54 Corvette?

those are very nice, where can one find them besides the cobra kit?

jb

@ jb - Heller made a 1/24th scale kit of the Delahaye 135 . Pretty rare kit. I had one unbuilt but sold it along with the massive collection that I had.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1947_Delahaye_135_MS_-_green_-_rvrT.jpg

Edited by mikevillena

I had a 64 Pontiac, and it had the clear sections, but the metal rod could be seen through the clear areas. To make one truly accurate, You'd need to somehow put clear plastic over a metal rod, and still have the finger grooves. But those do look cool.

Now you're talking a lot of work Joe! My original plan was using some silver jewelry wire with some clear plastic tubing with metallic flecks in it slipped over the top, but the scale was off & it just looked too "clunky". The "grip" detail?.....if you can come up with a relatively easy way of doing that, I'm all ears. :) I decided this was the simplest alternative.

Steve

I believe the solution is to take an original Johan 1960 Plymouth (and other suitable candidates) and cast them in clear resin. Then you can just paint the sections that shouldn't be clear.

Clear is 'good enough' for the part. The wheel is way too small to see the metal core under the clear plastic.