Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revells 68 Stingray - update 4/29

oldscool

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I now have the interior painted in model Master Nassau Blue as it is the closest thing I have on hand.

IMG_0834_zps6131b79e.jpg

Here is a mockup to show the contrast between body and interior.

IMG_0835_zps5e434d3a.jpg

Too bad Revell didn't provide some decals for the dash and console as I'm not good at painting the small details. I plan on painting the carpet with a slightly darker blue and cutting the sun visors free from the windshield frame.

Edited by oldscool

Not being real familiar with the nuances of Vette details, I did not realize that one needed to cut out the exhaust notches in the rear pan until it was already painted. As you can see, I really botched the driver side opening.

IMG_0836_zps2a05a7ce.jpg

guess i should have read the instructions :wacko:

Got some foil on her but I'm not sure about the upper part of the windshield frame. Should it be body color, interior color or all a wide piece of stainless trim? I looked at all the pics that i could Google but none of them gave me a definitive answer.

IMG_0837_zps646766d1.jpg

Could the corvette gurus chime in?

Edited by oldscool

Got some foil on her but I'm not sure about the upper part of the windshield frame. Should it be body color, interior color or all a wide piece of stainless trim? I looked at all the pics that i could Google but none of them gave me a definitive answer.

IMG_0837_zps646766d1.jpg

My '69 was a coupe but the windshield header was similar. I believe it should be stainless all the way across the top, though the underside would have has plastic trim in the interior color, as well as the visors.

Try post #77 in this thread: http://m.corvetteforum.com/c3-general/3124950-i-got-the-blues-official-blue-c3-picture-thread.html. I haven't found a good picture but I'll keep looking

Here's a link to a blue on blue Corvette, for sale. There's a couple pix of what you want but not really close up. There is a stainless moulding, on top of the windshield frame, behind the windshield molding. The top of the frame, behind the molding is interior, with the center, above the rear view mirror, is chrome.

http://www.iagclassics.com/carpages/1968-Chevy-Corvette-For-Sale.htm

Edited by cartpix

I like the way you corvette is coming out. I also think its cool that the GM guys are helping get things just right. The openings for the tail pipes don't look bad to me. If you wanted to address this with out re-spraying the body, you could brush on some clear lacquer, put it on in layers with a small detail brush let each coat dry before applying the next. Soon the gaps will be filled in. Now with your detail brush you can touch up with the body color. If your match is not perfect no worries just apply a small amount of crafters antiquing stain around the opening...since its next to the tail pipes this will add realism.

• 2 weeks later...

The interior is now done. This is all the detailing I'm going to do as I know I can't paint the silver details on the dash and console. The steering wheel rim is RAF dark earth with 2 coats of future and the pedals were done with black and silver Sharpies as well as the steering wheel spokes. I tried painting the carpet a different shade of blue and it just didn't look good so I had to repaint the interior bucket and just flat coated the carpeted part. Doesn't show up well in the pic.

IMG_0839_zpsb01e039a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a couple of weeks but I have gotten some more done. Just a few under hood and body details left to add.

IMG_0841_zps89a38c6c.jpg

Front bumper not glued on yet.

IMG_0842_zps62040da6.jpg

My favorite angle.

IMG_0843_zps07c146a2.jpg

The locating tabs at the top of the windshield won't be so noticeable after the sun visors are on.

Here's a couple of new details added. The rocker panel trim really sets her off and pulls things together visually.

IMG_0844_zps7e0caaad.jpg

I mentioned earlier in this thread that the chrome was bad on the bumpers so I got replacements from Revell and black washed the grille.

IMG_0847_zps00e12f00.jpg

Some pics show the grille inserts as all black but I prefer it like this.

My next move is to figure out a way to remount the sun visors.

Edited by oldscool

• 10 months later...