Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Subaru BRZ

kriztsq

Hi guys! Found my 2nd kit, Subaru BRZ :D

Not sure how it goes, but I was going to some hobby shops to find color for my BRZ's body. Want to use Mica Blue, but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I decided to use Tamiya Bright Orange. It would be a slow project as I have little spare time, but I'm trying to update in every step.

Unboxing first...

DSC_0506.jpg

Body fitting... (pretty good compared to Aoshima I built before)

DSC_0504.jpg

Primer painting...

DSC_0507.jpg

Front bumper color change...

DSC_0508.jpg

Flat Black for grille and fogs...

DSC_0511.jpg

Found a cheap Endless Brake System from a friend, so I painted the caliper with Fluorescent Blue

DSC_0510.jpg

Comments & suggestions will be much appreciated! :)

(I got a photo-etched parts for Aoshima (mine is Tamiya) Subaru BRZ, is it better to put it here or for my next kit? I was thinking to get 86 rocket bunny for the next project)

I don't know if the PE set for Aoshima's BRZ will fit Tamiya's BRZ... You might do some test fitting first? They are quite different in size & actually Aoshima's BRZ/86 kits are much more accurate than Tamiya's. ??

I don't know if the PE set for Aoshima's BRZ will fit Tamiya's BRZ... You might do some test fitting first? They are quite different in size & actually Aoshima's BRZ/86 kits are much more accurate than Tamiya's.

Yeah, I think I will use it for my next project ._.

So I got new wheels set also that I will post soon :)

I'm gonna have to so one of these in the near future, looking good already

Thanks mate, this is a good kit, though I wanna try the Aoshima one after this :D

Btw,

I will update what I've done today. I painted the whole body already, masked and painted the glass (now I didn't forget the window surrounds, because it shaped in the clear parts :) )

Then I fitted the front and rear bumper + the lamps. These lamps are easier to install without white glue because the joint plastics have more distance

front :

DSC_0525.jpg

side :

DSC_0526.jpg

rear :

DSC_0522.jpg

Then I make the batteries :

DSC_0523.jpg

After that, I made the rear suspension system to catch up with time, I used a silver paint marker pen to do the axles, and I painted the rear brakes, because my optional brake systems are for the front part.

DSC_0531.jpg

DSC_0537.jpg

I will paint the base tomorrow, and paint the engine. (the engine is not a separate kit which I don't like)

Thanks for visiting, comments & suggestions are much appreciated! :)

Cool project, it's looking really good!

Thanks man :)

I thought as much

So you're keeping this 1 flat - matte coloured, no gloss?

No, the body would be covered with clear gloss, I'll do it after water-decaling the body. The only gloss black would be the engine hood and the wing. :)

The story goes... I bought P1 BuddyClub rims this afternoon and wanna put them on my BRZ, unfortunately the PCD for the BuddyClub rims are actually 4x100, BRZ has 5 lugs....

My only solution is to paint it flat black also, any idea? I only got flat black, fluorescent blue, yellow, and red at the current time. :(

Thanks man :)

No, the body would be covered with clear gloss, I'll do it after water-decaling the body. The only gloss black would be the engine hood and the wing. :)

The story goes... I bought P1 BuddyClub rims this afternoon and wanna put them on my BRZ, unfortunately the PCD for the BuddyClub rims are actually 4x100, BRZ has 5 lugs....

My only solution is to paint it flat black also, any idea? I only got flat black, fluorescent blue, yellow, and red at the current time. :(

You're confusing me a bit mate... If you're going to clear-coat the body ( gloss clear ) then why did you already fit the windows/headlight/tail lights, or are they just temporarily fitted?

What do you want to paint flat black?? Could you be a little more specific?

Cheers

You're confusing me a bit mate... If you're going to clear-coat the body ( gloss clear ) then why did you already fit the windows/headlight/tail lights, or are they just temporarily fitted?

What do you want to paint flat black?? Could you be a little more specific?

Cheers

Temporarily for easier taking photo.

My standard BRZ rims which is chrome now. I want to paint it all flat black for this car. Sorry to confuse you.

Ok cool... Now I know what you mean ??

If you want to do the wheels in flat black... Go ahead! ? I have a WRX 2008 on my bench in very similar colour scheme & using Aoshima 20in 2-piece rims. Centres are dark titanium with the rings orange... Same colour as body. So yes black/orange works as a paint scheme ??

See....

63CDA392-0B64-4B0C-B38A-A151B782CF04_zps

95DA1668-C36E-47B0-8B6B-CAC2FB128E3B_zps

Cliff

Edited by CJ1971

Nice work so far on the BRZ. I need to pick one of these up. I have a Subaru kit on the shelf. I' ll have to go back and see what colors you used.

Nice ETC there CJ1971. That's what I have in mind for mine.

Later-

Thanks ?

If I were you I'd pick up the Aoshima version/s of the BRZ/86... Way more accurate & the latest versions come with full engine detail ??

Ok cool... Now I know what you mean

If you want to do the wheels in flat black... Go ahead! I have a WRX 2008 on my bench in very similar colour scheme & using Aoshima 20in 2-piece rims. Centres are dark titanium with the rings orange... Same colour as body. So yes black/orange works as a paint scheme

See....

63CDA392-0B64-4B0C-B38A-A151B782CF04_zps

95DA1668-C36E-47B0-8B6B-CAC2FB128E3B_zps

Cliff

What a nice job... I decided this afternoon that I will go for semi gloss, but more flat for the body. I get inspired after eating some oranges. Lol

Thanks for the suggestion, I'd already painted my wheels with flat black. I will post it as soon as possible. :)

Edit : your paint job and rims customization is really nice man, I don't know when I would be like that :wacko:

Thanks

If I were you I'd pick up the Aoshima version/s of the BRZ/86... Way more accurate & the latest versions come with full engine detail

Yeah I would rather to take Aoshima one to build for now. This kit is actually an old kit I found in 2012. I bought it right in the Subaru dealer in Tokyo, and I was thinking to keep it in the box as a souvenir from the dealer back then. I would buy the new one if it was already there :D

Edited by kriztsq

Kris... Practice ... Practice... Practice & lots of patience mate! Lol!

I have the Tamiya & Aoshima BRZ/86... When compared, in honest opinion... Aoshima is winner ?

For now finish your oranges inspired BRZ & let's see what you want to build next huh? ???

Cheers Cliff

Kris... Practice ... Practice... Practice & lots of patience mate! Lol!

I have the Tamiya & Aoshima BRZ/86... When compared, in honest opinion... Aoshima is winner

For now finish your oranges inspired BRZ & let's see what you want to build next huh?

Cheers Cliff

Thanks mate! :)

This is the latest build update, I put on my trademark yellow tow strap, finished the decal and glossed. I use JDM Michiba gold vision for the foglamp also.

DSC_0542.jpg

DSC_0541.jpg

I'm finishing the engine parts also. I thought it is better to leave one in the standard blue color for more colors inside the engine bay.

DSC_0540.jpg

This is the problem I found. Below is P1 Buddyclub (16 inch) which has 4x100 PCD lug nuts, while my BRZ actually has 5, so I can not install it either in the real world or the kits. I also had painted the original rims to flat black color.

DSC_0545.jpg

Painting the nuts and interior...

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_0551.jpg

I also changed the exhaust tips which I bought for 200 yen.

DSC_0548.jpg

Finishing the engine part...

DSC_0552.jpg

Engine is finished (out of the strutbar)

DSC_0554.jpg

Mounted the body, just after it was glossed. Good sunshine today :)

DSC_0556.jpg

Edited by kriztsq

I painted the front strutbar with STi style which is red pipe and silver screws.

I was too excited until I forgot to put the hood while snapping the body to the base, as you can see the comparison (last photo above vs below) :mellow:

DSC_0562.jpg

I was planning to use aftermarket brake system, if you remember, but I found that Endless has a blue metallic caliper which I think it's not suitable with this color scheme, so I painted the standard brakes and use standards, maybe the brakes are for next project :(

DSC_0618.jpg

Edited by kriztsq