Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Father's Day present ever?

Chris, I agree with you on the 6 cyl Charger being rare..Unfortunately not a big dollar car because of the "Tower of Power" Why people like the "E" bodies I

don't know..Had a 70 Challenger with 340/Burnt Orange hounds tooth interior..Nice rare car now but a real rattle trap in those days..wish I owned it now though...

Sure it's rare & sure it's valuable ... But... If you categorise it in the same league as 1 of today's super cars like a Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari La Ferrari, Pagani, Aston Martin 1-77 etc, which are all rare & expensive cars, that are driven by their millionaire/billionaire owners, is it any more valuable or less drivable? I know if I had the cold hard cash to buy it I'd drive it... Not everyday but maybe once a month or so.... ? Because I doubt once I had it I'd ever sell it.... ? Money not being an option I'd buy another 'Cuda & have it cloned to the real numbers matching 'vert, exactly, & make the replica/clone the daily/weekly driver... & I could say ( to anyone that asked ) that I have the REAL one back in my garage ???

Maybe valuable, but not worth it. Who wants rare & valuable if you can't risk driving it?

At this point that car is seen more as a financial investment than a car that you would actually drive. In fact, seeing as how it's one of only two in existence, you'd be crazy to actually drive it.

If I had the kind of bank account where I could consider buying it, I think I'd pass. Like you guys have said, owning it but not being able to enjoy it seems senseless. I'd rather buy a cool car that I could drive without worrying about risking my "investment."

That's a lot of money. If I had the cash I would not buy something I could not enjoy. I would buy a new challenger and keep the rest in the bank...

Exactly.

I've seen guys racing (hard) in 250 GTOs and in a 330 GTO that is one of only three ever built. The Cuda's only worth a couple of million dollars and has some rarity value -- but why wouldn't you drive it? Granted, you might not thrash it around a racetrack like the guys with their multimillion dollar GTOs, but since it's not really a race car, you probably wouldn't anyway. I don't think any car should be "too rare and valuable to drive" -- I mean, both Ralh Lauren and Jay Leno make a point about how their cars are all driven regularly, even the Bugatti Atlantique and the Steamer...

bestest,

M.

There's no way I'd take a car worth upwards of a million dollars into traffic. You never know when the next drunk or distracted driver is going to pop up. You can control your own driving, you can't control anyone else's. I just wouldn't risk a car that valuable on public roads.

Maybe Ralph Lauren and Jay Leno have private roads they drive on... but I don't! :D

in my opinion......

if I had that car and a bank account to let me afford a toy like that, sure I would drive it a little, actually, I'd beat the snot out of it a few times a month. And I am sure I would have a few less rare cars back in the garage that I could just rip to shreds. this car is exactly that, an investment. how do you think these guys got to afford these types of cars. to drop it down to a level that we can understand, I know plenty of guys with 350 Camaros, 383 road runners and many other muscle cars, even some late 70's and 80's cars that very rarely see the light of day because of the cost of repairing the results of an accident. a few owners back of this car lived out west somewhere where the was little traffic. didn't have to sorry about a drunk or someone texting. I have been driving for 40 years and have had 2 accidents, both not my fault, i'd take those odds and just fry the rear tires of that car just because.

I've seen guys racing (hard) in 250 GTOs and in a 330 GTO that is one of only three ever built. The Cuda's only worth a couple of million dollars and has some rarity value -- but why wouldn't you drive it? Granted, you might not thrash it around a racetrack like the guys with their multimillion dollar GTOs, but since it's not really a race car, you probably wouldn't anyway. I don't think any car should be "too rare and valuable to drive" -- I mean, both Ralh Lauren and Jay Leno make a point about how their cars are all driven regularly, even the Bugatti Atlantique and the Steamer...

bestest,

M.

x2

Maybe Ralph Lauren and Jay Leno have private roads they drive on... but I don't! :D

If you can afford that, you can proabably afford to either trailer it to a nice quiet country road somewhere, and give 'er a little exercise or rent a closed course for a couple of hours and drive a leisurely 60-65 miles and hour and keep it run that way.

I dunno...Dad wouldn't like it. Not a purple fan and never really seemed too interested in E-bodies.

Now, if I could find him a nice 318-powered '68 Charger like he had, Avanti or a Hawk GT, he might be interested.

Charlie Larkin

I'm have to agree with the guys here. Even if I had money, space and everything to buy that one, I'd definitely pass it. Personally I'd like to have a regular car that I could drive with, like a '63 Impala SS. This is in the same category as many show cars. Both are very nice, but I wouldn't want to own something I could not drive with.

However, if I bought that one, I'd drive it a little, just like Al said. There are some very valuable cars that can be seen on the public roads sometimes. This is the Art Russel Plymouth that won Grand National Roadster Show in the '60s. It can be seen in local Cruising Nights here in Finland sometimes.

P8050172.JPG?img=img900