Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Gypsy Dune Buggy.

PatW

Yes another beach/dune buggy to go with my five Meyers Manx , an Empi Imp and Airfix Bugle Buggy..................

1_zps076617c7.jpg

As I've just finished the Bugle Buggy in Orange I've chosen Yellow for this one.......................

3_zps154f0dc6.jpg

As this one was used I'll have to do some remedial work to that 'bitten' edge.................

16_zps231aecc2.jpg

When adding the top and bottom parts of the body the rough edge is very noticable, so a bit of filler is added.

As I wanted the interior and the floorpan all in satin black I built the whole thing then added the colour................

4_zps17ff699b.jpg

Some more pics to come......................

Edited by PatW

And some more pics.....................

The engine is built and added to the floorpan...............

12_zps8c9be39c.jpg

The wheels are painted, the tyres are fitted and added to the axles....................

17_zpsd710305b.jpg

The exhaust is attached in five places on the sprue and breaks at the thinnest point. I've also added a piece of alloy tube to the end of the silencer.

20_zps9eeac51d.jpg

I shall perhaps have to add a piece into the exhaust if the broken join isn't sufficient!

Some more tomorrow hopefully.......

Thanks hemi. Yes I love beach buggies as well. I was looking at a 1:1 Manx that's made here under licence, if I only had the cash I'd have a real one!

Edited by PatW

Can't wait to see more honestly. Is that a a V-dub engine with webbers?

Yup. Patrick, your model engine looks very very similar to the engine I had in my 1969 1:1 Sedan. I was driving that car daily and drag racing it on weekends. The Webers on mine were 40 IDFs. I scored the carbs themselves from a guy that had run them on a Fiat. (Don't ask, I don't know how he did it.) Then I got the intake manifolds from Claude's Buggies (which is now CBPerformance) and my linkage was from Gene Berg. I don't have any old photos of that car but here are a couple of photos showing the Berg linkage. I really think that this linkage would not be difficult to model.

post-13924-0-75240400-1401810544_thumb.jpost-13924-0-59488900-1401810561_thumb.j

I have one question. Did the Webers come with the kit?

Thanks for the info DavidG. We had five Beetles in the family so we regularly go to Bug Ins to see if anything has changed. That's where I see most of the UK Manx's.

I did a similar linkage on one of my earlier Manx builds, including scratchbuilding the filters from foam and plasticard. The linkage rod is copper wire.

15_zps8f7e9d48.jpg

I've fixed the exhaust today.....

21_zpsa869ad91.jpg

Here it is with the alloy tailpipe.

I've also masked and painted the windscreen surround the same yellow as the body, a second coat will go on tomorrow.

As the body is taking a while, I put the parts of the shell out in the warm sun today to help the drying process.

Edited by PatW

Patrick,

Hello sir, I was watching the building of your Airfix

dune buggies and first off my condolences on the

demise of that first buggy! (may it rest in peace)

I enjoy watching the builds of these kinda kits.

They are so fun and bring back good memories of

times when you could buy some kits for just a buck!

Or 2 pounds, whatever.

Is there a chance at all that you would part with a

set of the peoples that come in those Airfix kits?

And I do understand the value on those, so I am

willing to trade with that worth in mind!

I'm just throwing this at you just in case there is

any chance you would be interested.

David S.

Thanks for the tips and words guys. Dave email me on wickhampatrick@rocketmail.com. and I'll send them to you.

I tried twice to put a message on here and it didn't work.

Right today's update.

Firstly added a bashplate..............

23_zps384875db.jpg

The body didn't sit on the floorpan because the plate between the engine and gearbox was too high so I added a couple of slices of plasticard............

30_zps37bbb1b0.jpg

And now to the decals.........first on the bonnet , a spare one from many of the Manx builds...............

28_zps14a4c15e.jpg

Then a few dials were needed. These are from car and 1/32 scale aircraft.............................

33_zps04276b6f.jpg

and so to tomorrow and more hard work on the bench (ha ha)

Yes Jim it's not too bad. Due to it's age there are some fit issues, like the one I had where the mounting plate between the engine and gearbox was too high, so the body wouldn't completely sit on the floorpan.

Knowing that before and being able to shave a bit off the top would have been a help. also the rear body section doesn't fit quite right so I used super glue and a clamp to hold it in place until the glue went off, but now having to rub off the residue glue and having to re-paint one side.

But that's modelling!

DynoMight what's KUTGW?

Cheers DynoMight. Various problems have arisen with cracking joints, on the opposite side as before, perhaps due to the kit being old.

Having to re-stick with superglue and clamps. Plus re-painting the sides of the body!

But we shall overcome!

Edited by PatW

The final coat of the yellow didn't dry/cure at all so I've stripped the enamel paint and given it a coat of grey undercoat but in acrylic.

I could'nt find another yellow at the LHS, so I've buckled under the strain and found a Humbrol gloss Orange.

I know it's the same as the boxtop but all my other colours are on the darker side, Crimson , Green etc.

36_zps867e0612.jpg

So I've just put a second coat on. I'm resin casting bomber seats today, as an utter novice I tried casting some sidepods for a Manx yesterday and surprisingly they came out OK.

When the paint has dried fully (fingers crossed) I can finish this one off.

Edited by PatW

Here We are Finished (I couldn't change the heading!)

Firstly I couldn't use the flat upright windscreen as it was scratched in the box, so being resourceful (use what you've got) I found a new rear windscreen from a Meyers Manx.................

68_zpsbd1eda6f.jpg

67_zps69fc92dc.jpg

62_zps3483230f.jpg

I couldn't pull the screen back along the sides of the body as it wasn't wide enough..........

More pics >

As I'm not totaly happy with the Manx screen, I found a plastic case with the thickness of the plastic nearer scale. So using the original as the template made a new flat screen added with a touch of black sharpie round the edge.......................

78_zps131427e5.jpg

76_zps7a518e93.jpg

72_zps67c47a22.jpg

Is that better or what?