Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 Chevy Bel Air A/GS -Finished!-

W-409

Thanks Guys, I highly appreciate your kind comments :) !

Yep, it will be painted blue. Actually my paint arrived yesterday, it's Tamiya's TS-23 Light Blue. It's really close to the interior color, at least when looking at the bottle top. The other color will be white, so I'm planning to go with Two Tone paint job, just like in the interior.

tamiya-ts23-light-blue-100ml-spray.jpg

Thanks Again!

Thank You so much, Stan, Ron, Glenn and Chris! I appreciate it.

I think that color should fit really nicely on Tri-Five Chevrolets, too. It will take some time before this one is painted, though. I started doing bodywork a couple of days ago and I noticed that there are lots of flaws and mold lines. First problem was the windshield chrome trim. The upper part of that trim was completely invisible, so I had to make another one. I glued some styrene rod as a new chrome trim and now it should be a lot easier to BMF as well. I started also sanding the mold lines away and found a couple of places where some putty was needed. There's still lots of work to do and it probably needs more putty, but I hope that I could spray some Primer or Spray Filler on it soon.

6be5f254-3c6f-44a3-920f-e0fd93cccc42.jpg

a1b5d274-ca33-4e7a-b215-b5c47d56c587.jpg

395ab322-d407-4358-a684-431872ba965f.jpg

74c4e74c-fc85-4725-b46d-cf98e74b610d.jpg

8a6774d6-8e31-42e6-96d5-af83b3195e8c.jpg

I also worked with the brakes / inner wheels. I painted part of the wheels with brighter silver and the brake parts with gun metal. I will add slight black wash on them still, but otherwise they are done. The actual wheels need still some work. Rear wheels need a bit of black wash and I must paint the bolts and nuts, but I'm not sure what to do with the fronts. Maybe I should remove the chrome plating and paint them silver... Let's see what I end up with.

Anyway, front springs and front axle are glued on place. They need still detailing, for example a couple of bolts and nuts need to be added and then I must find shocks somewhere and fabricate mounts for them. And of course I need all of the steering parts, too.

47048b44-2a7a-45b9-83b0-3f0df1665f1c.jpg

20aa6ce2-e151-4cd7-841a-2d7a48f42d01.jpg

According to an old Hank Borger, Car Model article building a 55 Chevy Gasser he named Fantasia. The origins of the "Bad Man" were Monogram's 55 Chevy which Monogram used to convert to Tom Daniel's design. Hank Borger used the earlier version's body as it was more accurate than the Bad Man's body. I remember building the Bad Man when it first came out, it built a fairly nice model with the previously noted 55 Chevy inaccuracies. Most of us kids had no idea there was anything wrong with it!

According to an old Hank Borger, Car Model article building a 55 Chevy Gasser he named Fantasia. The origins of the "Bad Man" were Monogram's 55 Chevy which Monogram used to convert to Tom Daniel's design. Hank Borger used the earlier version's body as it was more accurate than the Bad Man's body. I remember building the Bad Man when it first came out, it built a fairly nice model with the previously noted 55 Chevy inaccuracies. Most of us kids had no idea there was anything wrong with it!

Ahh, the good old days- when a kit could be inaccurate and we would build it anyway :P

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Yep it's an old Monogram kit... When was the BadMan issued at the first time? I can't remember. Interesting info on the kit's origins, too. That kind of information is always nice to hear.

X2 on John's comment! I think it's funny that some people can't build a kit if it has inaccurate spots. In my opinion, the builder must correct the errors, or live with them... But still build the kit if the subject is interesting B) !

I made a little progress last week, but I had no time to post any updates. So here are a couple of pictures. I started by adding a couple of bolt / nut ends to the leaf springs and to the spindles on the front axle. They were painted with brighter silver than everything else to make them "stand out". I also added a little black wash to the front inner wheels and painted bolts. Brake lines were also glued on the wheels and after that the wheels were glued on.

37b0a72f-1139-422f-9d2a-85b7d824a91c.jpg

2c092e63-353f-4785-b95a-9775f23925cd.jpg

a0f02251-e746-4d58-b3b5-c51057cdca21.jpg'

732966c4-12a9-46de-9358-c8ec22ebfb47.jpg

ff9bad59-4af8-4075-8205-ff00880f265e.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Yep it's an old Monogram kit... When was the BadMan issued at the first time? I can't remember. Interesting info on the kit's origins, too. That kind of information is always nice to hear.

A far as I know Tom Daniels designed the BadMan kit 1969...so you might be too young to remember. ;)

Edited by Force

Thanks Stan, Ron and Jason! I really appreciate the kind words and I agree that the front end is turning out pretty good. I still need to add a couple of parts to the steering and then it needs shocks, too. I can't wait to see how it looks when it's done. :)

Today I was able to work with the brake lines in front. I used Scale Dreams' Spark Plug Wire and then somekind of Copper wire I found from my tool box. The fittings are scratchbuilt from hex styrene rod. I still need to add one copper wire to the brake master cylinder, but I can't do that until the brake master cylinder is on place.

Another thing I have been doing for a while now is the body work. After some putty and sanding I got it pretty smooth so today I sprayed on some spray filler. It looks pretty good, but it still needs minor sanding. Hopefully it doesn't need more putty, though, because I want to see this one painted...

60774919-214e-4ecb-b51e-2f6d2708ede5.jpg

bf45b1ce-7e07-45f1-ac5a-d727bf2561e2.jpg

22f0da9c-8c4b-48c1-85f4-5868826e6aab.jpg

A far as I know Tom Daniels designed the BadMan kit 1969...so you might be too young to remember. ;)

Looks like I was posting an update at the same time and didn't notice this one. Anyway, thanks for the information! Yep, I didn't exist way back then, not in even decades after that actually. :D But I remember reading it somewhere, just couldn't remember the year. :)

Thanx!

Thank You, Stan! I really appreciate your kind words, as it means a lot when a very talented builder says I did a good work. :) It keeps me motivated on continuing the build and posting pics here... Thanks!

Well I wasn't able to make any progress today. It was so freaking hot that I didn't feel like sitting on my bench (It was about 100 Fahrenheits inside) even with the windows open. Now the weather got a bit colder and I made a bit progress with my other build - that I will post now here in Drag Racing Models. Hopefully tomorrow I can sand the body and see if I can already shoot a coat of Primer on it and maybe I could do some chassis work, too.