Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project #2, 1959 Mercury, Finished!

I usually like to try & get a start on a second project while I'm working on one. This time, along with the '60 Edsel hardtop, I'll be working this "Jr. Craftsman" 1959 Mercury Parklane convertible. I always thought the uptop on the 1957-1960 Merc convertibles was kind of cool & unique, so I thought I'd try my hand at coming up with one. I'm modifying an uptop from a Monogram 1959 Caddy. Looking like it should work out ok as long as I can come up with a solution for the wrap around rear window. I have some ideas for that. :) Steve

The top is looking pretty good if I do say so myself! :) Hopefully, I'll come up with a acceptable solution for the rear window. Starting to get pretty excited about finishing this one. Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Good start on that top, Steve!

I remember pirating some clear pliable plastic to use for a '60 Buick ragtop rear window from the case for a cheap electric blanket. Shower curtains and other similar products come in the same kind of cases. I think the window on those Mercs was the typical heavy clear pliable ragtop and roadster window plastic, and wrinkles, pulls, splits, tears, and yellowing were par for the course, especially in the "wrap around" area. Looked cool on the dealer lot though!

Nice work so far on the up-top. The yellow is the molded color?

Charlie Larkin

Yeah Charlie, that's the color it was molded in. The paint on this one was inspired by a photo I saw online of a '59 Edsel painted metallic green & black. The body will be "Sagebrush Green" with black coves, a black top & a medium green interior with black accents. Sounds a little odd, but it grabbed my attention when I saw it. Steve

Good start on that top, Steve!

I remember pirating some clear pliable plastic to use for a '60 Buick ragtop rear window from the case for a cheap electric blanket. Shower curtains and other similar products come in the same kind of cases. I think the window on those Mercs was the typical heavy clear pliable ragtop and roadster window plastic, and wrinkles, pulls, splits, tears, and yellowing were par for the course, especially in the "wrap around" area. Looked cool on the dealer lot though!

One option I my try Froghawk is using a trimmed up vacuum formed wrap around windshield. I have a couple extra laying around. Might as well get some use out of one. :) Steve

Steve! You have another winner there. I like the addition of the up-top, and your work looks spot on. When I was a kid, my next door neighbor had a white '59 Mercury Monterey convertible whith a white top, and red interior, similar to this Park Lane 59merc51043-1.jpg

I can't wait to see where this one ends up.

You've got another great project going here Steve. I've been trying to get a '59 Merc for months on EBAY but keep getting outbid. I'll most likely wind up getting a resin kit from Modelhaus down the road. The Merc is the only 1959 car that I don't yet have in my pile to be worked on. It'll happen eventually. Good luck with yours.

You've got another great project going here Steve. I've been trying to get a '59 Merc for months on EBAY but keep getting outbid. I'll most likely wind up getting a resin kit from Modelhaus down the road. The Merc is the only 1959 car that I don't yet have in my pile to be worked on. It'll happen eventually. Good luck with yours.

Look for a "junior Craftsman" kit Rich. They usually are more reasonable than the regular kits & they do come up occasionally. I got mine for much less than a resin kit. Steve

Ah yesssssssss.... the Master is working his magic yet again! I do so enjoy looking at your builds Steve. Your choices of color only add to the realism and your talent and workmanship raises the bar for most of us and sets a new standard for "clean", "realistic", "period correct" and most of all, "quality of workmanship" I'd love to see your collection all set out..I'd likely never survive the experience as I'm sure I'd go into overload mode and - well--- "POOF" - I'd just explode! Green with black accents.. I can see that being VERY attactive and looking so righteous on this car. I have one of these on my shelf that was a gift from my best friend years ago - you are going to make me want to take it apart and redo it - I just know it... :wacko:

Look for a "junior Craftsman" kit Rich. They usually are more reasonable than the regular kits & they do come up occasionally. I got mine for much less than a resin kit. Steve

Steve, I've bid on Jr. Craftsman kits, original kits, builtups, and promos but as I said, I've always been outbid on them all. I'm only willing to go just so high in price + shipping. Of course, don't you know that the one month that an EBAY buy wasn't in my budget, one that I didn't bid on went for a really low price. :angry: I usually won't max bid any higher than Modelhaus' price.

Yeah Charlie, that's the color it was molded in. The paint on this one was inspired by a photo I saw online of a '59 Edsel painted metallic green & black. The body will be "Sagebrush Green" with black coves, a black top & a medium green interior with black accents. Sounds a little odd, but it grabbed my attention when I saw it. Steve

That actually does sound like a nice combination. The light green with black and black will actually be a rather sharp combination.

Charlie Larkin

Steve, I've bid on Jr. Craftsman kits, original kits, builtups, and promos but as I said, I've always been outbid on them all. I'm only willing to go just so high in price + shipping. Of course, don't you know that the one month that an EBAY buy wasn't in my budget, one that I didn't bid on went for a really low price. :angry: I usually won't max bid any higher than Modelhaus' price.

I picked mine up on ebay probably 6 months ago for I believe around $60.00 or $70.00 with the shipping. Just like new except for missing fender ornaments & minus the box. I'm guessing the Modelhaus kit runs around $85.00-$90.00. Just keep looking Rich! One thing I have learned about ebay is, patience can pay off. Especially if you can find an auction that ends in the middle of the week! ;) Steve

Ah yesssssssss.... the Master is working his magic yet again! I do so enjoy looking at your builds Steve. Your choices of color only add to the realism and your talent and workmanship raises the bar for most of us and sets a new standard for "clean", "realistic", "period correct" and most of all, "quality of workmanship" I'd love to see your collection all set out..I'd likely never survive the experience as I'm sure I'd go into overload mode and - well--- "POOF" - I'd just explode! Green with black accents.. I can see that being VERY attactive and looking so righteous on this car. I have one of these on my shelf that was a gift from my best friend years ago - you are going to make me want to take it apart and redo it - I just know it... :wacko:

Gary. You flatter me too much. But I do appreciate the positive comments! I'll try not to disappoint you on this one! :D Steve

• 2 months later...

Haven't gotten a whole lot done on this project for a while but hopefully I can get out of my "builders funk" & get back on it now. Body prep & first couple of coats of primer on the body done. Hopefully I'll get some color on it this weekend. Had to do a little more modification on the uptop. It needed a little more stretching to look closer to correct. Steve

Color coats are finally on the Merc. I saw a '59 Edsel online a while back in a similar color scheme & I really liked it. A little more unique. This is MCW 1960 Ford "Meadowvale Green", also known as '60 Merc "Valley Green". Very close to 1959 Mercury "Sagebrush Green". The coves are just basic black & the rear quarter bright work panel has been shot with "Polished Aluminum" Alclad. I finally feel like I'm making some progress! :) Steve

One detail about the Jr. Series kit: The taillight lenses are chromed rather than clear red plastic (which they were on the 3 in 1 kit); cost savings I guess. The Modelhaus has them in clear red resin. The other round lenses on the ends of the chrome spears have to be scratchbuilt, but it's not too hard.

Love your colour scheme Steve, and going for an up top is a very cool idea. Looking forward to progress.

I also have this Craftsman kit, bought some 20 years ago for similar money, I think from Hobby Heaven. It was out of a non-illustrated catalogue so I was very pleasantly surprised to find this gem of a box.....

c6ae8461-3073-4393-b874-7a91a042a631_zps

I haven't touched mine yet but it's just the sort of wierd but wonderful US design that I love, so I hope to get to it one day.

One detail about the Jr. Series kit: The taillight lenses are chromed rather than clear red plastic (which they were on the 3 in 1 kit); cost savings I guess. The Modelhaus has them in clear red resin. The other round lenses on the ends of the chrome spears have to be scratchbuilt, but it's not too hard.

Already picked up a set of the Modelhaus lenses Chris. As for the lenses on the ends of the spears..... A couple of drops of Testors "Stoplight Red" will do just fine for me. I probably would have done the same for the plated taillights as well but my kit had broken fender ornaments that needed replacing, so as long as I was ordering parts anyway...... :) Steve

Love your colour scheme Steve, and going for an up top is a very cool idea. Looking forward to progress.

I also have this Craftsman kit, bought some 20 years ago for similar money, I think from Hobby Heaven. It was out of a non-illustrated catalogue so I was very pleasantly surprised to find this gem of a box.....

c6ae8461-3073-4393-b874-7a91a042a631_zps

I haven't touched mine yet but it's just the sort of wierd but wonderful US design that I love, so I hope to get to it one day.

The '59 Merc is not exactly my favorite body style either Peter, but as you said, it's one of those "quirky" designs that really needed to be added to my collection. The wierder they are, the more I love 'em! Might explain my obssesion with late 50s & early 60s Mopars! :D Steve