Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project #2, 1959 Mercury, Finished!

Patience is the key with EBAY. Eventually I'll get one. I've been pretty lucky with all of the other cars I've gotten on EBAY for really decent prices.

Be sure to create an eBay search agent for the cars you are looking for. That way you'll get an email from them every time one appears. It gives you more options and you won't miss any. Like Rich, I set a mental price limit for any model I'm looking for. I pop that into my snipe program, and wait. It's cheap sport! Sooner or later I do get what I want at the price I want to pay!

I pretty much do the same thing as far as prices go. I know how much I'm willing to pay for a certain kit, so I bid once & once only. If I win, great. If not, there'll be another opportunity. I always chuckle a little when I see these guys that will bid 20 times in a row in $5.00 increments. :) Although, I just search once or twice a week if I'm looking for something in particular. Gives me something to do in my down time. Plus, I occasionally find a gem I wasn't expecting. For example, I just picked up a built Johan 1964 Chrysler 300 that looks pretty nice for $40.00. We'll see if it was a good investment when it arrives! :unsure: Steve

I always chuckle a little when I see these guys that will bid 20 times in a row in $5.00 increments.

I laugh at the guy who does that in $1 increments, fishing for the current high bidder's top bid. And that's exactly why you need to use a snipe program. I use esnipe.com which has a free introduction offer. They do charge a fee per auction, but only on winning bids. And the fee is small, I believe I buy $10 in their points every year or so. Well worth it. It allows you to put in your bid with a few seconds left... no time for any human to react and play that $1 bid thing!

Also when you put in your bids, don't do round numbers, especially sale type numbers like $4.99, or even $5.00. In those cases go for $5.66 to beat those guys who use round numbers.

A couple of fresh progress pics of the Merc. Clear coats are all on & the body is waiting for a final polish after a couple of days curing. The interior was painted with Testors flat black & a mixture of Testors "Stainless Steel" Metalizer & flat green & then shot with a coat of clear lacquer to give it a nice satin sheen. Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I have a '59 hardtop friction promo missing the head lights that's almost the same color as you've painted yours. I was planning on building a custom out of it. But so far, haven't done anything with it. I also have a '61 Monterey that's being built as a custom and converted to a convertible. I'm using the uptop from a '59 Impala on it also. It's almost a perfect fit.

I have a '59 hardtop friction promo missing the head lights that's almost the same color as you've painted yours. I was planning on building a custom out of it. But so far, haven't done anything with it. I also have a '61 Monterey that's being built as a custom and converted to a convertible. I'm using the uptop from a '59 Impala on it also. It's almost a perfect fit.

I didn't have to do a whole lot to the top to make it resemble a correct '59 Merc top Roger. Just cut the back to the right angle & then add a strip to the back to give it more length. Also had to add a little to the bottom to bring it up in the back a little. Other than that, it's all '59 Chevy. :) Steve

That interior really looks great Steve. Do you ever use flocking or embossing powder for carpets?

I've tried it many years ago with limited success. I probably wouldn't mess with it anyway with these one piece interior tubs. In my opinion, there's not enough detail there to justify spending too much time on something that will be really hard to see after the model is completed anyway. I'm intending to give it a try soon on a few more detailed up-coming builds. I'm hoping to get going soon on a '64, '65 & '66 Chrysler 300 trio all of which at least have seperate seats & a little better interior detailing. As far as this Mercury goes, I slacked off a little & didn't do my usual floor mats to add a little more interest to the floors. :) Steve