Model Cars Magazine Forum

Krylon Fusion Paint

Hey guys, hope everybody is doing well. Okay, I am thinking about a couple of my upcoming builds, and I want to ask about paint. I got the Fusion on sale at HL. Is this stuff okay to use on a kit? It says no primer or sanding needed, not that I am lazy, just bought them to try out. I sure wouldn't want to ruin a kit. Has anybody experimented with this paint. Thanks :huh:

I used it an loved it and I used a rusto flat black primer. If the coast of paint is not an issue. I just got a can a few weeks ago it coast 12$ its called liquitex light coat of primer is a must then after you spray the body give it a coat or 2 of wet look. Let it sit in a box for a week or 2. Well lets just say simply amazing and finger prints just wipe right off. Lol an they told me at the store it's not for plastic only canvas. ....

What is Krylon Fusion? And why would I want to use it rather something Tamyia paints, or Testors lacquers?

Scott

It comes in some really cool colors and big cans that don't cost that much when compared to model paints. It actually 'bonds' to the plastic, hence the fear of using it on styrene. That fear being (I guess) that it will 'melt' or 'deform' the plastic. Before I knew about it I used it on a car without using primer and everything turned out okay, maybe I just got lucky. I have some more of it but have been afraid to use it from all the stuff I read on here. I need to do some more experimenting with it. The photographs suck, but , you can still make out the basic paint job. Here's the car:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/?showtopic=82159

Edited by Speedfreak

Hey Speedfreak, nice looking car, it turned out nice. I quess I will use that Krylon with a good primer.

Thanks Sam, I think with a good primer you should be okay with the Fusion, just do some experimenting on some spare parts and see what happens.

I've used it, too, with a good outcome.

I used automotive primer for the base coat. It's been a couple months since I sprayed the last batch of parts, and no signs of crazing, melting, or any of the other horror stories I've been seeing posted on the net.

I'm building a '62 Chevy Bel Air, and trying to replicate a "Fawn" colored interior. Krylon Fusion paint called "River Rock" was the closest I've seen to the GM color (at least to my aging eyes).

Like someone else mentioned, there are a lot of interesting colors available in the "Fusion" lineup.

TEST TEST TEST...BEFORE YOU PAINT THE WHOLE MODEL !!!

Depending on the SPECIFIC plastic a kit is molded from (they're NOT all made of exactly the same stuff...all "polystyrene" isn't formulated the same), Krylon "Fusion" MAY CRAZE the surface of the model VERY BADLY.

There are several posts of this happening, and it's just about impossible to correct it when it does.

They call it "Fusion" because it has HOT solvents in it that melt into plastic and give better adhesion...for things like lawn furniture. Sometimes, these "hot" solvents will attack the surface of a model, and you never know until it's too late...unless you TEST FIRST.

TEST ON THE UNDERSIDE OF PARTS FROM THE KIT YOU WANT TO PAINT. Testing on spoons, as often recommended, is useless for determining compatibility with the kit you're working on.

Fusion has crazed parts I've painted, so I'm not just repeating something I've "heard". TEST FIRST !!!

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The concept of "formulated for plastic" isn't worth the ink it took to print the words on the label, unless the SPECIFIC TYPES of plastic are spelled out in much more detail than any casual user will ever bother to read.

The attraction of some of these non-model-specific paints isn't that they're "made for plastic", rather it's the interesting colors available. So, if you wanna use ANY hardware or big-box store rattle cans, TEST first.

The concept of "formulated for plastic" isn't worth the ink it took to print the words on the label, unless the SPECIFIC TYPES of plastic are spelled out in much more detail than any casual user will ever bother to read.

The attraction of some of these non-model-specific paints isn't that they're "made for plastic", rather it's the interesting colors available. So, if you wanna use ANY hardware or big-box store rattle cans, TEST first

x2