Model Cars Magazine Forum

Did this Aurora '34 Ford Coupe Double kit die in the "train wreck" too ?

On 11/22/2017 at 4:10 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

I've got two late-issue Aurora '34s in pieces, one a nearly-complete unbuilt kit:

P1120374.thumb.JPG.22a20646b24d83df8a05f

and the other a dismantled gluebomb with almost all the parts the good one is missing. I figure I have enough to build one stock and one hot rod.

Some pieces, like the door handles, are rather thick while others are delicate (the front axle especially). Still I want to build it since it reminds me of what an AMT Trophy Series '34 would have been like.

Question: How long did Aurora produce this kit? The instructions look like they were printed in the '70s. Neither one came with a correct box lid.

Try in the early-to-middle 1960's.

Art

Hot Rod Version of Aurora '34 Ford Double Kit, built straight from the box around 1979 or so....

DSC 0245

Kitbashed version of the restored/showroom stock version of Aurora's '34 Ford Five Window Double Kit, built with drivetrain from AMT's mid 1970's AMC Gremlin kits and also completed around 1979-1980...

DSC 0307

....TIM

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

No mention of the Racing Scenes nor the '34 Coupe or the Model T :huh: 

No, but again, going by Tom West's comments, that only seems to apply to the 15 molds damaged in the derailment. I don't think the third (of three) Drag Racing history article in SAE in which Tom West discussed the 1/16 Aurora Racing Scenes touched upon the fate of those kits, but he did mention the unexciting box art (IIRC something along the lines of "dental products" was mentioned) and poor sales numbers while those kits were current.

Was anything mentioned regarding the 1/25 Aurora '34 Ford Coupe in Tom Graham 's Aurora Model Kits?

Edited by Casey

I had the 34 Ford double kit and I recall the stock version having brass plated parts and not chrome, The chrome parts were for the hot rod. Was glad to have two kits for the price of one.

Along the lines of the Aurora molds the American LaFrance pumper was lost,  If Monogram had the mold what a great mate to the Mack pumper.

In regards to the Revell molds the Revell classic fire apparatus were lost at sea between California and Brazil on the return ship. That's why the last versions are in Portuguese.

greg

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Was anything mentioned regarding the 1/25 Aurora '34 Ford Coupe in Tom Graham 's Aurora Model Kits?

Posted a page back, and almost a year ago: in the 2006 edition of his book, Graham said "Monogram reportedly still has the molds." 

On 10/29/2018 at 12:46 PM, tim boyd said:

Hot Rod Version of Aurora '34 Ford Double Kit, built straight from the box around 1979 or so....

DSC 0245

Kitbashed version of the restored/showroom stock version of Aurora's '34 Ford Five Window Double Kit, built with drivetrain from AMT's mid 1970's AMC Gremlin kits and also completed around 1979-1980...

DSC 0307

....TIM

Tim, how does it stack up against the AMT (modern-ish) '34 5-window? If it were available, would it be worth building for reasons beyond just nostalgia? 

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, Snake45 said:

Tim, how does it stack up against the AMT (modern-ish) '34 5-window? If it were available, would it be worth building for reasons beyond just nostalgia? 

Snake.…...with today's level of adult builder scrutiny on proportions, scale, and accuracy, I'm afraid the Aurora kit would be primarily of interest for its nostalgia value only.  Fans of "East Coast" style hot rods would also be interested in the hot rod version, which is an authentic representation of the genre.  Some of the parts in the hot rod version would also find their way into current projects, I suspect. 

Below, two sets of comparison images, first a set of kitbashes replicating the typical "street rod" build genre of the 1970's to early 1990's….(Aurora kit first, AMT-Ertl follows)…..and then.... 

DSC 0306DSC 0325
Next, a comparison of the Aurora Hot Rod kit version vs. an AMT-Ertl based kitbash I finished a couple of years ago....

DSC 0248DSC 0230
TIM 

PS -- at least on my screen, the aspect ratios of the pictures I posted above are very distorted.  The original images (from my Fotki site) are fine.   Hmmmm…..UPDATE...…...as Snake mentioned below, these pictures now appear with the correct aspect ratio on my laptop as well.....TB  

Edited by tim boyd

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, Mike999 said:

Posted a page back, and almost a year ago: in the 2006 edition of his book, Graham said "Monogram reportedly still has the molds." 

Hmmm…..I don't want to second guess a well respected author like Mr. Graham.....but I remain highly skeptical that these molds do indeed exist.   With the latest developments in the ownership of these ancient tools, though, anything is possible.   TIM   

39 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Snake.…...with today's level of adult builder scrutiny on proportions, scale, and accuracy, I'm afraid the Aurora kit would be primarily of interest for its nostalgia value only.  Fans of "East Coast" style hot rods would also be interested in the hot rod version, which is an authentic representation of the genre.  Some of the parts in the hot rod version would also find their way into current projects, I suspect. 

Below, two sets of comparison images, first a set of kitbashes replicating the typical "street rod" build genre of the 1970's to early 1990's….(Aurora kit first, AMT-Ertl follows)…..and then.... 

DSC 0306DSC 0325
Next, a comparison of the Aurora Hot Rod kit version vs. an AMT-Ertl based kitbash I finished a couple of years ago....

DSC 0248DSC 0230
TIM 

PS -- at least on my screen, the aspect ratios of the pictures I posted above are very distorted.  The original images (from my Fotki site) are fine.   Hmmmm…..

Tim, thanks for the honest, detailed and well illustrated answer. Guess I'd buy one if it were available at "popular prices" but won't pay collector tarriff for one. BTW, your pics look fine on my computer, at least all the wheels are round....

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Hmmm…..I don't want to second guess a well respected author like Mr. Graham.....but I remain highly skeptical that these molds do indeed exist.   With the latest developments in the ownership of these ancient tools, though, anything is possible.   TIM   

I'm skeptical about that, too.  FWIW, I just checked and the same statement about the '34 molds is in the 2017 issue of Graham's book.  That book was delivered to me on the same day as "Muscle Car Model Kits" by Some Guy...which I'm reading right now and thoroughly enjoying. :)