Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 VW type 1 standard- Aussie spec. Tamiya/Hasegawa blend

ShawnS

Hi everyone,

This one has been sitting around 3/4's finished waiting for me to print out the decals and do the final details. It's a Hasegawa body over a Tamiya chassis and interior with the RHD dash from the Hasegawa kit. It was driven at Bathurst in the 1963 Armstrong 500 by Bill Ford and Barry Ferguson to victory in Class A.

g5gl.jpg

qjjs.jpg

2mada.jpg

I removed the detail from the seats and door cards as on the 1:1 and removed the radio and cut out the glove box lid.

58dx.jpg

The VW battled with the Morris 850 of Little/Holland for the lead of Class A for most of the 500 mile race with the VW coming out victorious after the Morris found itself on it's side after contact with the VW on the second to last lap. The two combatants-

8oxo.jpg

Pics of the Morris can be found here-

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69120&hl=minifest

I originally was just going to use all of the Hasegawa kit but after a test fit of the interior showed a fair bit of daylight coming through I ended up getting an old Tamiya VW glue bomb out of my stash and adapting it to fit. All it required was some minor trimming on the chassis sides and a little extra Evergreen behind the rear seat. The bumpers, head lights, front indicators, tail lights are Tamiya . The wheels are Hasegawa rims with modified Tamiya centres on Hasegawa tyres.

(Not So) Interesting factoid-- The Tamiya VW kit is LHD only but it comes only with RHD windscreen wipers and the Hasegawa kit has a RHD dash but it only has LHD wipers. There you go.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers

ShawnS