Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 Malibu Pro Mod Finished! 8-1-14

Thanks for all the comments!!! I am having a lot of fun with this build.

I got to work on it today. The dash, steering column, pedals and shifter are in. I've also made the seat belts and installed the seat. (I need to glue the belts down) My next project will be adding the plug wires. Then I can install the blower and cut the hole in the hood. Once the hood is cut I can get to painting it!

Thanks for looking!!!

kLm8V_ngZzsR7jWsBZsFHaa_Uuo-vi.jpg

gsx9uFksmezTe3GJ5m8YM2SmqDERto-vi.jpg

9ahL2WU7ygs1-vi.jpg

Edited by am73grand

Excellent Ron! I've finally met my match with posting pics here. I've got to go Fotki or something. I tried to attach some pics of my Hays T-Bird following your advice and everything fit so far including the Hemi with the blankets and safety straps. Just can't attach it to a post any more with MCM's upload. I need to grill you on your standard steering wheel mount with the flat screen Data Tech (or whatever) readout.

Outstanding work and thanks for sharing your tips on the wheelie bar, cage and Revell chassis scores!

Small update. The blower is installed as is the motor plate and idler pulley. Plug wires are in and the hole has also been cut in the hood. I'll be using those wrinkle wall slicks on the rear.

_r4BYGQYuBUYGU_l3W0IYkme5eN3jc-vi.jpg

NwMeeBWzjEN9zWz7Ob-vi.jpg

7W-vi.jpg

I'm waiting on the injector hat and some other parts. I think I'll move to the rear end. I'll finish the rear end, add the fire bottles in the trunk and the batteries. I can also start on wiring the interior. Hopefully I will update in a couple more days.

Thanks for looking!!!

Familiar looking slicks, Ron ^_^ Never could figure out why this year/body became so popular with radial drag racers and turbo classes. It doesn't look too areo, but must have some good f/r balance. Props on using an "outlaw" type hood as it looks really nice. I'd almost swear that chassis paint is Tamiya #42, light gun metal! Looking great bro!

I spent A LOT of time on this today. The body is in the last stage of primer before paint. I will paint it on the next non-humid day.

Today I built the Optima batteries:

OF_Cs-vi.jpg

84hbtxCRJGc-vi.jpg

I also installed the engine for good. The headers are on the small side but they fit so I'm going with them. Next up is the blower blanket and hold down straps, Get the body on and finish plumbing the fuel system.

m6F0KmdrS-vi.jpg

As always thanks for looking!!!

I did a little more on this one tonight. The body is drying so I mounted the front wheels (Notice the valve stem). I also added the front brake lines and I started on the fuel pump. I am using a modern unit out of a Revell funny car. I had to re-position the main fuel line to the rear. I'll start adding lines later this week. This will be my first time using this kind of pump. I hope it looks OK.

7s-vi.jpg

Looking good Ron, what did you make the valve stem from?

Thanks Jason, it's just a piece of black ignition wire. I drilled a hole in the wheel and then glued the wire in place.

Thanks Cody, I appreciate it!

Edited by am73grand