Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 Hornet Pro Mod IT'S FINISHED! 2/7/15

How do you bend the styrene? A lil heat?

Ron is right - "a little candle power LOL". My first couple of tries bent so quickly the styrene just slurred off like an old McD's straw lit with a lighter. It bends quick for me so I guess I keep getting too close. However, after a couple of tries with some old stock, I figured it out. Ron's the man for these cages. Mine wasn't perfect the 1st time but I got close.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this one has been stalled because I was waiting on the blower pulley's and belt. I finally have enough progress to show.

Engine is painted and permanently installed. I added the two lower blower pulleys. The distributors are scratch built. I still need to add the caps. Spindles are a combination of kit parts and scratch building. The steering rack is from the Revell '55 Sportsman kit.

_Qn2k5_cfO-vi.jpg

MSD boxes are installed just need to add a little more wiring:

OISpFpHdUHuUfkRWD70-vi.jpg

The tops of the struts look rough but they are not visible with the body in place.

jXgIvs1U8vSn-vi.jpg

Next up is seat belts and paint on the body. Now that I am sure I'm finished cutting on the hood I can finally paint. I just need to wait for the humidity to break.

Also the front tires are just shy of the ground. I may have to re-do the struts.....

Thanks for looking!

Dragline: like your signature, but... I've gotten a couple of snoot-fulls of nitro fumes during JFR's clutch seating procedures and it's no wonder most of the crew (including John) use masks now in the pits. I cried & choked like a baby on my first mouthful of solid food! I do love alky in the Comp classes though. Man, that is sweet!

Btw, great progress as usual Ron. I'm still waiting for TDR to make a 1/25 scale MSD twin mag kit like their 1/16th. Yours are totally mint!

Any updates.

Bob,

I had sinus surgery a week ago. I cannot paint because I don't want to inhale paint with open wounds in my nose and wearing my mask hurts. The car is ready for final bodywork. Then I can paint it. I'm hoping to get back to it next week.

Thanks for your interest!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a teaser. I spent around two hours putting the major decals on this thing. LOTS of decal setting solution and I still have some wrinkles. Hopefully once I bury the decals in clear coat they will disappear. Lots more decals to add but I'm gonna clear it before I go any further.

oU_8CW7vTwRZsdiPdvPJxPGUG4kXlI-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• 4 months later...

It's BACK!!!! After a pretty long hiatus this one's back on the bench.

Installed the computers and wiring and shifter buttons. I also made a new switch box because I was out of kit pieces. Notice the laptop on the floor. It's hiding a nasty glue mark.

bVAdJcIzxx-vi.jpg

jBf6IJdR7rEeaaZWsHcmrNOIoZW4RM-vi.jpg

Still need to detail and install the batteries.

6CrKY2sbYKcQo4wtk_46ai4pk4T9S3-vi.jpg

I still need to install the upper seatbelts and then I can install the body for good. Lots more to do but it's coming along.

Thanks for looking!

Finally wrapped this one up. I ran into a few problems during final assembly. First the doors will not close all the way. Second I had to trim the tops of the front tires to get them to fit. I also didn't add wheelie bars because I didn't want to hack up the rear bumper. Also this is a shelf model, the bottom of the car is not finished. This was a fun build and I learned a lot. Hopefully the next one will be better.

FONr8KzchS-vi.jpg

w_jKbfheUhxqFOYWZUIpL4Vf-vi.jpg

4ymDzknGU8tbnUI_TDshFVRFqJ7kYJ-vi.jpg

Mms9aOirI_w7bIZGyXHAKjuF-vi.jpg