Model Cars Magazine Forum

Charlie,

Welcome to the forum and be sure to look around, plenty to learn!

Hobby Lobby will have a decent selection of some of the current kits available, be sure to print off their 40% off coupon or if you have a smart phone, have it ready at the checkout.

There are a bunch of items to look at for detailing in a Hobby Lobby, be sure to walk the aisles.

If it's anything like the one I was in in South Jersey off Route 55, it won't have any model kit section! Just aisle after aisle of some of the tackiest craft and gift items ever seen with a background of the smarmiest muzak-style hymns ever heard. Very weird... 20 minutes of life I'll never get back.

Best to call first to ask if they carry what you want to save your time, your eyes, and your ears.

Different HL stores have different selections of kits. Some have a very nice selection... maybe not as much as a hobby shop (remember, HL is a general craft store that covers a lot more than just plastic model cars). But definitely worth checking out, and like the others have said, if you walk the aisles you'll find all sorts of stuff that's useful for detailing model cars... mainly in the jewelry making aisles. I found a nice set of miniature spring-loaded (self-opening) pliers there... about 4-5" long, needlenose, bent needlenose, round jaw, etc... meant for jewelry making but just as useful for model car building. The set of 5-6 different pliers was only about 6-7 bucks. And there are all sorts of wire in the jewelry aisle... silver bead-stringing wire, all kinds of different gauge wire in various colors... I even found some hollow, soft rubber tubing that works for radiator hoses. If you've never been to a HL, it's definitely worth checking them out.

One thing that I have noticed about Hobby Lobby (Thanks to a suggestion here, about roaming all the isles), is that the same or similar product, in different packaging for a cheaper price. What I mean is, stuff in the beading section, is sometimes cheaper, then the same or similar item in the scrapbooking section.

Different HL stores have different selections of kits. Some have a very nice selection... maybe not as much as a hobby shop (remember, HL is a general craft store that covers a lot more than just plastic model cars). But definitely worth checking out, and like the others have said, if you walk the aisles you'll find all sorts of stuff that's useful for detailing model cars... mainly in the jewelry making aisles. I found a nice set of miniature spring-loaded (self-opening) pliers there... about 4-5" long, needlenose, bent needlenose, round jaw, etc... meant for jewelry making but just as useful for model car building. The set of 5-6 different pliers was only about 6-7 bucks. And there are all sorts of wire in the jewelry aisle... silver bead-stringing wire, all kinds of different gauge wire in various colors... I even found some hollow, soft rubber tubing that works for radiator hoses. If you've never been to a HL, it's definitely worth checking them out.

What Harry said!

I've found HL stores here in Indiana to be an excellent source for hobby tools--just a walk through their jewelry-making supplies will turn up small pliers, even small side-cutters that I find FAR better than the Xuron/Testors/Tamiya parts nippers, for example. In addition, all manner of needle-nose pliers that are of excellent quality for what we model car builders do. And in the beadwork area? All manner of gauges of soft copper and soft brass wire--I've used a fair amount of that for wiring and plumbing engines and chassis.

Harry's correct about HL stores being somewhat different from city to city, as well as regions. Like most all Big Box store chains, they do tend to tailor their stores to what they perceive the local market to be, so I'm not surprised that some of their stores don't stock model kits (even though my local HL does.

It's not a subsistute for a good LHS, but it sure can be a supplement.

Art

Expect a lot of religious nick knacks. And christian Muzzak. Up until recently, my local HL was carrying a poor selection of kits. But John mentioned it no longer does apparently. If you know what you are looking for, there are numerous useful items there. But it's like a nightmarish treasure hunt to find what you need and avoid the bible pushing low lifes in the store. I wish there wasn't so much religion in that store.

Expect a lot of religious nick knacks. And christian Muzzak. Up until recently, my local HL was carrying a poor selection of kits. But John mentioned it no longer does apparently. If you know what you are looking for, there are numerous useful items there. But it's like a nightmarish treasure hunt to find what you need and avoid the bible pushing low lifes in the store. I wish there wasn't so much religion in that store.

I have shopped at HL many times and have never seen anything like you describe. In the three different HL stores I have been to there are no religious items for sale that I have seen, and certainly no "bible pushing low lifes" anywhere.

What on earth are you talking about?

Heck with HL, I spend my big bucks at Buddha's R/C, Crafts and House of Voodoo down the street. ;)

:lol:

There was a whole aisle of jesus on the cross and last supper paintings. It's not the sort of things I expect to see in a retail store.

The HL stores here don't sell that kind of stuff. And if they did it certainly wouldn't stop me from shopping there for other stuff they have that I could use.

Do you avoid shopping at every supermarket that sells Kosher food?

I have shopped at HL many times and have never seen anything like you describe. In the three different HL stores I have been to there are no religious items for sale that I have seen, and certainly no "bible pushing low lifes" anywhere.

What on earth are you talking about?

I frequent about five HLs in the Phoenix metro area on a regular basis, and as I travel around the state, I make it a practice to check out any HL I encounter. I've never seen anything like that either.

Some people are so driven by their own agendas they just imagine boogey men as self-fulfilling prophecies.

:lol:

The HL stores here don't sell that kind of stuff. And if they did it certainly wouldn't stop me from shopping there for other stuff they have that I could use.

Do you avoid shopping at every supermarket that sells Kosher food?

Well I'm not anti Semitic, but I just prefer to not have blatantly religious items not thrown in my face when I go shopping. My reasoning is also political, which you wouldn't want posted, I'm sure.

Well I'm not anti Semitic, but I just prefer to not have blatantly religious items not thrown in my face when I go shopping. My reasoning is also political, which you wouldn't want posted, I'm sure.

Here's an idea. Don't go in that aisle and the stuff then won't be "thrown in your face." I'm pretty sure all that stuff that offends you is in a different aisle than the model kits, paints, and supplies.

There was a whole aisle of jesus on the cross and last supper paintings. It's not the sort of things I expect to see in a retail store.

It's a good thing you don't live in Arizona. There would be nowhere for you to shop. Virtually every grocery store, convenience store, and craft store, most hardware stores and absolutely every dollar-store sells votive candles, prayer candles, novena candles, Madonna figures and pictures and saint figurines and statuary. Many retail stores sell crosses and crucifixes.

No one forces you to buy any of it. No one forces you to look at any of it. No one minds if you're agnostic or atheist. And no one tries to force you to change your mind.

If your convictions are so weak that background music threatens your belief systems, you need to work on reinforcing your convictions.

Here's an idea. Don't go in that aisle and the stuff then won't be "thrown in your face." I'm pretty sure all that stuff that offends you is in a different aisle than the model kits, paints, and supplies.

I had stopped going there altogether. 40% off a thing wasn't worth my trouble.

I had stopped going there altogether. 40% off a thing wasn't worth my trouble.

Doesn't make any difference to me whether or not you shop there. That's your business. I couldn't care less where you shop or don't shop. But posting comments about how you are personally insulted or whatever your problem with HL is doesn't really have any bearing on the topic we're talking about. This topic is about the kind of stuff you can find there that we can all use in our hobby... not whether you personally approve of the place or not.

your name is Francis Xavier!!! there's like saints 'n stuff with those names. have you been sent here to test our mettle?

spent too many years in grade school with Sister Mary Margaret slapping your knuckles with the ruler?

Edited by southpier