Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Forum Topic Added

I just don't understand the whole DONK thing...must be associated with rap, or something like that...I also don't get rap...must be getting to be an old fart...
:blink::blink:

Hey Tony T, what do you mean getting to be??? :lol::lol: .

Just kidding,I am there with you and probally way ahead of you

I'll post more if you pay me for it. :P

I had been limiting myself to just when I though I had something worth adding, but....that could change!! LOL!!

Remember, I have no life, so I could spent 14 hours a day on here, posting every minute....If I was paid for it! LOL!!!

The NASCAR section is already my favorite part of the board :D Now it's the first thing I check when I pull it up, and I've gone from checking this board once a week to two-three times a day! (FWIW, this section was the first I used to check, followed by rants and raves, Resin and ask G&J...I still check them, and occasionally others, too, but the NASCAR section is where I'm going to be spending most of my time here!!

Hey Gregg, is there any chance you could pull the NASCAR builds posted in the finished section and relocate them into the NASCAR section? That would be kind of cool, but probably more work then it's really worth...

I hate to be a complainer, but this is another example of the progression of this forum. There still is little too no focus on "Sports Cars" at all. I don't even bother posting anymore because of this. When I do post there is no support sans a few builders who appreciate them. I do not want to come across as a problem or even cause riffs; I just wish this site was more oriented to other things than pre-70's builds/Gassers/32 Fords and Nascar. I love all of them but the modern car market is too huge to simply not attend to. I could be wrong, but not everyone here builds the aforementioned models. There are a lot of us that get little to no mention or even responses and that is frustrating. If I spend 100 hours on a Ferrari that can be claimed (by myself of course) to have the same amount of detail of a Fairlane, it should be noticed. My $.02.

If the interest for sports cars isn't here now, as you seem to believe, adding a "Sports Car" section won't necessarily create any more interest.

Personally I couldn't care less about NASCAR..I've never built one and never will...so I don't need a NASCAR section. But if the interest is strong enough to support that category, that's cool. I have no problem with it being here...I just don't visit that area.

Maybe if enough people ask Gregg for it, he'll create a "Sports/Exotics" section, but until that happens, if ever, I'd say keep posting in the "Under Glass" or "On the Workbench" sections. Those who are into this type of model will see your posts and appreciate them...but you can't force others to be interested in what you're interested in! Don't worry about how many responses you get. It's the quality of response that matters, not the quantity! Keep posting!

Edited by harrypri

If the interest for sports cars isn't here now, as you seem to believe, adding a "Sports Car" section won't necessarily create any more interest.

Personally I couldn't care less about NASCAR..I've never built one and never will...so I don't need a NASCAR section. But if the interest is strong enough to support that category, that's cool. I have no problem with it being here...I just don't visit that area.

Maybe if enough people ask Gregg for it, he'll create a "Sports/Exotics" section, but until that happens, if ever, I'd say keep posting in the "Under Glass" or "On the Workbench" sections. Those who are into this type of model will see your posts and appreciate them...but you can't force others to be interested in what you're interested in! Don't worry about how many responses you get. It's the quality of response that matters, not the quantity! Keep posting!

I agree fully with Harry. I really like the format of this forum "On the workbench" and the "Under Glass" categories.

There may be fewer comments here than on other forums, but the comments are from and to a person with a name, not some nebulous “handleâ€. In that, they seem to be more personal and meaningful.

I hate to be a complainer, but this is another example of the progression of this forum. There still is little too no focus on "Sports Cars" at all. I don't even bother posting anymore because of this. When I do post there is no support sans a few builders who appreciate them. I do not want to come across as a problem or even cause riffs; I just wish this site was more oriented to other things than pre-70's builds/Gassers/32 Fords and Nascar. I love all of them but the modern car market is too huge to simply not attend to. I could be wrong, but not everyone here builds the aforementioned models. There are a lot of us that get little to no mention or even responses and that is frustrating. If I spend 100 hours on a Ferrari that can be claimed (by myself of course) to have the same amount of detail of a Fairlane, it should be noticed. My $.02.

I agree, I also agree that creating a sports car section isn't necessarily going make anybody who isn’t interested, interested; however, it certainly wouldn’t hurt anything, or anybody to have a sports car section.

Personally I can appreciate any well-built model, but I am far more interested in sports cars than American Muscles, which is only about 10% of my collection.

And I have zero interest in NASCAR even with some of the F-1 boys migrating over, I still have zero interest.

Furthermore, sports car racing is spreading like wildfire in this country.

The biggest sporting event in the world? It’s not the super bowl. It’s not NASCAR, It’s not with World Series, It’s not NHRA, and It’s not even the Olympics.

It was the record 2000 24 hrs of Le Mans where over 1.3 billion, yes billion people from 63 countries– an official French Government figure, watched some or the entire event. That’s more spectators than NASCAR gets in a whole year.

So we are out here, just haven't been heard yet.

Funny...I had pretty much stopped reading here because it seemed like all it WAS was sports/exotic cars!

Why does it not surprise me in the least that nobody cares when there are various other section, but as soon as there is a NASCAR section people come out and complain? Why did nobody complain when a drag section was added, or when the other sections were added?

Why does it not surprise me in the least that nobody cares when there are various other section, but as soon as there is a NASCAR section people come out and complain? Why did nobody complain when a drag section was added, or when the other sections were added?

I'm with Billy on this subject. I must get this out of the way first, however.... I HATE NASCAR! BUT... I am not saying get rid of it. And I'm certainly not complaining about it. I know there is plenty of interest here for it as proved by the response so far. I actually was wondering why there wasn't any already. Please don't judge my opinion negatively, though. Not everybody has to like everything. If so, the world would be a pretty boring place. If I don't like something, I don't have to comment or even look at it. What my post here is about, is since this site already has broad categories, why not just make a section for race car subjects in general? Put sports car racers, NASCAR, and drag cars in the same area. This would keep this place from turning into one of the places many of us left behind or won't go to at all. Any better ideas?

Ok, before this gets out of hand and into a fight let me kind of clear up what I meant.

I know that there is not a lot of interest in sports cars and exotics. I figured that out a long time ago. I also figured out that this is indeed a forum for what I mentioned before. Therefore I understand why my type of building and those into sports cars rarely get replies, etc. Bothers me not on a personal level I just notice that many people get the same responses which is maybe 1 or 2. I can't change that nor do I want to "force" others to like these cars. I just want some recognition for them. I am sure that all of us have a sports car of two in the pile. We never see them though. If Nascar gets its own forum that is great. I will look it over from time to time but I absolutely dislike that aspect of motorsports. But I will admit that some of the best builds I have ever seen have come from that genre. And out of respect I will always post. I did not know until today there was a drag section, again, that is great. I have been to 10 or so NHRA competitions over the years and I like it enough. I would never build any of the Top Fuel/Funny/Pro Street, etc..... But I will look it over and probably comment when I see a great model. That is the basis for what I am saying. I sincerely doubt that any one single person here absolutely dislikes Ferrari's/Porsche's/Lambo's/even current American Sports cars like C6's and Vipers, etc. I'll bet all of the American Muscle classic's guys even find something of interest in a 62 250 GTO or a Cobra Daytona. Those are highly regarded vehicles and the models used to build them are as well. The kits for these are as rare as can be.

If there is no interest then so be it. But this forum does absolutely nothing to support it as is. Like I said before - I understand the population of this forum very well and I still love it. I also understand the magazine. When a topic of changing the mag came about I stated the same there. If the name suggests "Model Cars Magazine" then it should promote all genres. Right now it should be called "Classic Model Car Magazine". That is not meant to be rude or jerky but again I see the focus of this forum/magazine. The short of the long I guess is: nothing can be gained if nothing changes I guess.

Then again, maybe there is no need to change?! :)

Edited by Enzoenvy1

If the magazine and forum seem devoted to classic muscle cars maybe that is because that is what gets submitted to the forum and those are the articles that Gregg gets for the magazine. I know Tim provides some content related to trucks, have any of you offered articles on sports cars, NASCAR, drag racing, Tuners, Donks or other "neglected" items? (Please no Donks :P ).

As far as the absense of posts, there are a lot fewer members here, divided up over several subject areas. I believe there was recently a post that this forum just broke the 2000 member mark, for comparison Scale Auto has more than 1000 members just in the A's. More members is going to result in more comments, I guess its up to individuals whether they prefer 20 Awesome!!! or Great Build!!! vs two meaningful posts. Presentation matters too, I have 1% interest in NASCAR and that is strictly due to Luke 57's builds, from a purely technical aspect there are better builders here, but when you take the whole package, interesting photography, nice build and a little bit of history behind the build it becomes more than just an assembly of plastic. A lot of the posts in the display case are maybe the kit used and some pics. Great another shiny car, but what is it, what kit, what paint, do anything special to it, have any problems with it, how did you fix them. Why did you build it? etc.

Its kind of the if you build it they will come, you have to develop some interest in the subject, if all the members who like a little seen subject all take the attitude that nobody want to see what they build, that is what will happen. Show your stuff to build the interest, it might take a while but eventually it should encourage others who build the same stuff, maybe even encourage some who have never built that particular subject to give it a try if they know there are knowledgable people who can help them with issues specific to that subject.

Personally I've found this site is very good for getting building information, info on the real cars, kit availablity, resin availability, techniques etc which is the most important part for me. The pretty pictures of the builds is just a plus.

Enzo...like I said before, keep posting!

ALL types of models are welcome here. Yeah, maybe some genres are more popular than others, but I'll bet nobody who's a member here doesn't want sports cars posted.

I can't speak for others, but in my opinion, I enjoy seeing photos of ANY type of model. I'm not necessarily into all of them, but I still like to see good work. For example, I don't care for NASCAR, but David Thibodeau's work is pretty amazing, and I enjoy his posts.

Bottom line: all of us have our own personal preferences...but I'd be willing to bet that we all enjoy seeing good work being posted, regardless of subject matter.

Enzo, keep posting those sports cars of yours! And Billy, keep on posting those NASCAR racers! A well-built model is worth posting, no matter what type of car it represents.

Enzoenvy1.

While I may not comment on every model posted on the Forum, I for one build almost nothing but Corvettes & sports cars and appreciate every one posted on this space. Please bring them out because I'm both humbled and inspired by the quality of models that I see.

Robw

I'll bet all of the American Muscle classic's guys even find something of interest in a 62 250 GTO or a Cobra Daytona. Those are highly regarded vehicles and the models used to build them are as well. The kits for these are as rare as can be.

Enzo..first of all it was my suggestion that got the NASCAR forum going....

now, up until recently I was that "American Muscle" guy and all I built was musclecars, however, I have gotten extrememly bored with them and decided it was time for a change, and got into NASCAR building, primarily the 80's and early 90's cars with some 70's thrown in thanks the the new MK reissues. I dont have much interest in building anything later than about 1995, except for maybe a Dale Sr. car.

but I am not building with blinders on either.. in the last few months i have ordered probably 10 different Fujimi JDM kits of various manufacturer, and ordered the Fujimi Ferrari 330p4 that was recently re-issued from HLJ as well...

I personally am enjoying Steef's Tamiya F40 Monte Carlo build, and always check out yours and Izzy's builds of exotics and racecars, because they interest me too. I would love to see some new tool '60's-70's Trans Am and Can-AM racers as well.

guess what I'm saying is, even though I build NASCAR, I enjoy all types of racing related builds, and maybe all the racing sections could be combined into a "race car-sports car" section.....and just leave the exotics in the normal forum, Ithink if you creat a sub-forum for each individual type of build, i.e. exotics, muscle, imports, off-road, it will decentralize the board too much, and lose some of its" friends hanging out and modeling" type of atmosphere..

Edited by LVZ2881

Great responses and I appreciate your respect in the fact that I am also respecting you all. Like I said no tension inclined and I should not have classified a "classic car" kind of builder. I wasn't pinpointing too much just an example.

I know what it takes is numbers of members and also those members who enjoy the exotics and sport cars. I have tried to rally as many people as I can from Scale Auto and Automotive Forums over this way as I love this forum and the maturity and respect we all show eachother. It really is a valuable resource in our declining hobby.

Just to clear the record, I don't want to appear to be asking for a "Sports Car" sub-forum. I guess I was just on a rant about the topic. Like I said, it is great that the Drags and Nascars have their own. Maybe just a bit more enthusiasm in modern metal is what I want. I know I am in no way a great builder but when I did something like my F430 Challenge/Street, not much attention to that kind of model had been present. Things like that are what I would think any model builder would appreciate. It was not an OOB with an etch set, there were many personal touches that made it unique. To me that kind of build would be a great way to promote new era super cars in the forum or even the magazine. I don't even need to personally use myself as an example. Many beautiful sports cars are here but none hit the mag.

Anyway, I am starting up again. I again appreciate the respect and responses.

I know I am in no way a great builder

I dont agree with that statement. I personally wish I could build to the level you do. Your Jeep project is absolutely amazing. I would someday like to attempt to scratchbuild a lift to fit some RPP 48's on the MK Bronco...