Model Cars Magazine Forum

1949 Mercury

om617

Inspired by all the cool older custom cars on this forum i thought i should do an humble attempt myself.

The kit is AMT 1949 Mercury. Very nice car both stock and custom,even if i favour the 51 as for looks.

Anyway,i do think flames are pretty cool,even if they are being used so much it`s become an cliche,but

who cares,taste is as we all know subjective. My level of skill dont allow me to chop the top or such things,

so i guess it will be more or less stock as for body. It will be lowered and hopefully i will find some tires

with wide whitewalls,i think it looks good on these cars. Plans so far is Cadillac drivetrain and wheels.

Also i will be using Cadillac steeringwheel and maby other small stuff,not 100% sure. I tend to do

changes as it progress,and after suggestions from you skilled people.

This is what i have so far. I have not put clear on but will add a coat or two.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Suspension more or less done so this will be the stance. I changed my mind on the mill,going for 392 hemi with hillborn

fuel injection. I found some nice valvecovers and hillborn parts at speedcity resin. The Cadillac wheels did not fit,and i

did not feel to okay with shaving these tires,btw they are from the AMT tire packs. The wheels are the Moons who come

with the kit. I might change my mind on these too lol

How it sits now.

007.jpg

002-1.jpg

beautiful flames!

i'm definetly into the street rod classic cars from the 30's to the 60's

grew up on muscle cars.

i'm looking for white walls like those for my 32 ford, i'll start a thread on that soon.

or did you paint the white walls, wich is what i've been thinking of.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did suspect it and tonight i got it confirmed. The stacks are too tall so they touch the hood. I`m not cutting the hood and the

motor is pretty much done,i guess i`ll save it for somthing else. I started an attempt at making a flathead v12 instead. I could

have bought one,but it`s 30$,and then there is shipping from AUS.

I`ll have some pics later on.