Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ancient history 1962 Lambo 300

Russell C

Another blast from the past, this one representing my one and only 15 minutes of cover photo fame. It was seen with other GSL XV models on the cover of the August 1994 Model Car Journal. I started with a Fujimi 1988 Lamborghini Countach and combined it with a Jo-Han '62 Chrysler 300, back over the span of October 1992 to September '93. I had a bit of a mix 'n match thing going on back then, with my BMW Cadillac and my 911/CRX.

398676944_Lambo300drfr.JPG.0e8c91aba5d7587c5e71f4ebec2157fa.JPG

63731022_Lambo300passfr.JPG.144fac42a2c0c25e187c64476b8a0dc0.JPG

148694637_Lambo300drrear.JPG.0b910b88f5b0bafcc4353c838791beb2.JPG

The front wheels in the Fujimi kit were fine, but the rears had truly bad sink areas between the holes, so I commissioned my dad, a master machinist, to lathe-turn a new pair of wheels out of aluminum. Sliced up the lettering decals to read "lambo 300 on the back, and placed "Mopar" license plate borders on California plate decals. I forget which Fujimi kit had those plate decals, probably one of the Porsches.

770633990_Lambo300drside.JPG.ec007be66baa6ee8c7f7c3f5aa47912a.JPG

1892841713_Lambo300passrear.JPG.9ae72dcf811f8a9f30c034bcb762cb52.JPG

My pal who worked at an auto body place gave me a small quantity of Mercedes red along with some PPG Deltron clear for the finish. Don't breath that stuff. I left the nub on the backside of the upper set of headlight lenses since they looked like projector-style bulbs, and it gave more of a menacing appearance. The turn signals have just a thin layer of orange over the bulb area, and then quite a thick layer of Elmer's glue (covered with clear) to make the Jo-Han chrome lenses look more realistic. Gold tint Bare Metal foil for the Chrysler logos.

443474163_Lambo300fr.JPG.cce7b8dc05bc121bd81eb5f4745c9c75.JPG

Yep, it's a slammer. Carved the words "Acme Window Tinting - Guaranteed not to Rust" into the underside of the windshield. The rear axle makes it look like the car backed into a tar pit.
838015192_Lambo300bottom.JPG.9de6840138caa82fa4921e4e89d5f23a.JPG

Edited by Russell C
fixed busted photo links

Thanks for the compliments, all.

On 8/15/2014 at 4:54 AM, carcrazy19 said:

At first I wasn't sure but I actually think it looks good...very creative and its different....real cool. Nice job.

If I may criticize the model myself, I'd say it is a touch 'heavy' in the front. If I was to do it over again, or if I had the chance to play with it in a 3D computer illustration file, I'd see if it was possible to downplay that heaviness by sectioning the upper portion of the fenders and bring the overall front height down a bit... and perhaps bring the whole area ahead of the wheel arch back just a touch, while extending the Lambo's arch bulge forward just a little. I can do this sort of thing using my CorelDraw program, thusly, where you can see in the gray wireframe version where the lighter color original image was, and the cut portions of the image are that I laid on top of it (an example of 'Photoshopping' the photo to improve the model. Also removed that garish reflection on the door, since the opportunity allows for it here).

807454188_Lmboshorterhood.jpg.dfa498e0fabda461c18b49060cdd1a65.jpg

On 8/15/2014 at 11:13 AM, unclescott58 said:

...Now I want to see your BMW/Cadillac.

Yep, I'd already forgotten that I only mentioned that one briefly in my intro post, I'll have to include it in the photo shoots for a few others I have.

Edited by Russell C
fixed busted photo link

Thanks for the compliments, all.

If I may criticize the model myself, I'd say it is a touch 'heavy' in the front. If I was to do it over again, or if I had the chance to play with it in a 3D computer illustration file, I'd see if it was possible to downplay that heaviness by sectioning the upper portion of the fenders and bring the overall front height down a bit... and perhaps bring the whole area ahead of the wheel arch back just a touch, while extending the Lambo's arch bulge forward just a little. I can do this sort of thing using my CorelDraw program, thusly, where you can see in the gray wireframe version where the lighter color original image was, and the cut portions of the image are that I laid on top of it (an example of 'Photoshopping' the photo to improve the model. Also removed that garish reflection on the door, since the opportunity allows for it here).

2edb5gg.jpg

Yep, I'd already forgotten that I only mentioned that one briefly in my intro post, I'll have to include it in the photo shoots for a few others I have.

We are our own worst critics. There is nothing wrong with how you did this car. It's prefect as it is.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

How did you do that?

WHY did you do that?

How? Well, not quite as indelicately as this, but similar with a little more sawing action on a Countach and a 300, then glue and bondo. Sorta.

Why? I see things that aren't there, and instead of doing something more productive or useful to society as a whole, I make models of the images in my mind, or lately, I stop short with just photo alterations.

How? Well, not quite as indelicately as this, but similar with a little more sawing action on a Countach and a 300, then glue and bondo. Sorta.

Why? I see things that aren't there, and instead of doing something more productive or useful to society as a whole, I make models of the images in my mind, or lately, I stop short with just photo alterations.

I guess I was pulling your leg a bit with "why" but I very much enjoyed your reply. I really like your photo alterations.

And there are already too many people doing "productive and useful" things for society!

• 2 weeks later...