Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dad's going to kill me.

ranma

That's a nice job on the damage, which is not easy to pull off successfully. I wasn't involved, but I got to watch one of the funniest accidents one could ever witness. This was in Iowa in the mid1990s during a snow storm. A young kid pulled up to a stop sign and another car stopped right behind him. The kid pulled out from the stop sign and started to turn left, but he decided to show off and floored the thing. He did a doughnut and actually managed to hit the car behind him. It sure was a lot of fun watching him trying to explain that one.

Edited by Kodiak Island Modeler

I will try to make this short as it still hurts to think about it. In 1968 my dad bought a new 68 Ford Galixie 7 liter 428 car I went with him to pick it up. on the way home we stopped too get a bite to eat. when we left pop gave me the keys and said you drive well what do you do when your 16 and the old man tells ya to nail it I did hit a pole side ways and that was the end of it.

I will try to make this short as it still hurts to think about it. In 1968 my dad bought a new 68 Ford Galixie 7 liter 428 car I went with him to pick it up. on the way home we stopped too get a bite to eat. when we left pop gave me the keys and said you drive well what do you do when your 16 and the old man tells ya to nail it I did hit a pole side ways and that was the end of it.

I felt that one.. ouch

I had mom's 65 Dodge Polara out one afternoon, when an old man in a Ford LTD ran a red light, and I proceeded to T-bone him. It pulled the big bulky fender out, but otherwise didn't do anything else to the car. Still got lectured about defensive driving and watching out for the other guy, and how I could have avoided the accident, blah, blah, blah, blah...... It was some time before dad would let me drive one of their cars. Then 2 months later my brother totaled dads caddy, boy was I glad that wasn't me.

Great model Rick, I know how you feel. Back when I was 16 I totaled my moms '63 Buick Electro 225. lost it on a wet street and slide sideways into a phone pole, digging a 3' trench. I got my drivers license 2 days before and the car just returned the day before from the upholstery shop with new seat covers, mom was NOT happy.

• 3 months later...

I was 17 and it was my car, but I had been telling my father that the brakes on my '66 Valiant felt funny. He got in the car, hit the pedal and told me I was nuts. That week I took a ride up the Garden State Parkway. I decided to go into a rest stop and coasted up the exit a bit, then hit my brake pedal. The pedal went straight to the floor! I was a brand new driver and had no idea what to do. I hadn't learned to pump the pedal, nor to downshift the auto trans etc, so I just rode it out with my foot planted on that useless brake pedal. I thought I could go up the hill and onto the grass, but as got closer I realized there was a guard rail around the lot. So I turned quick and hit one of the trees in the lot, dead center!

I destroyed the radiator, hood, bumper, grille and valence... and my prize NJ State Bicentennial license plate! The car was towed and that weekend I hit the junkyard and repaired the car.... and replaced the master cylinder. My father was ticked, but there was nothing he could say since I had told him the brakes were funky!

Me and my buddie got the keys to the '03 Tahoe on a car show in september and I am 15, you'll have to be 18 for driverslicense in Belgium.

And we got on the grass, I turned left and I drove it in looooooose sand so I thought 'I'll step the gas a bit, that will help it hook up'

So I did and at the same time I hit a bump so my foot slide off and pressed the pedal half and the thing yells, does a 360° and we had our windows down, feelin the breeze roll in, you know and my dad could see me spun out!

Thing was a desert inside, I stood there waiting till the dust was gone like a minute, I was shaking 'what should he say??' My buddy was laughing so I laughed too and we did one more tour and got back, my dad didn't say anything bad 'did you entertain yourself?' We where like 'yeahhhh definitly!!' And he hopped in with his friend, leaving with a burnout that was insane, we couldn't see for 2 minutes when the dust was gone because there wasn't any breeze. :D

I also drifted his corvette but that was meant to be a drift then :D