Model Cars Magazine Forum

Freightliner FLC "Porkchop Express"

If you don't recognize the name at all, check out John Carpenter's movie "Big Trouble in Little China". In the movie, Kurt Russell drives a 1985 Freightliner FLC that he's named the Porkchop Express.

BTLC2014-08-23-17h44m53s86.jpg

From my searches on the internet, I've only seen one other person build this, and I noticed several issues when compared to the movie truck (plus the underwhelming build quality). Because of this, I decided to tackle this using the newer version of the Italeri Freightliner FLC.

it_3859_title.jpg

Biggest change I'll have to do is lengthen the sleeper, as well as raise the roof. I'll also have to fabricate new fuel tanks since the movie truck appears to have smaller diameter tanks than stock. Finally, there will be a few other parts from the various parts kits Italeri put out that I will add.

First thing I did was purchase a set of 10 hole Alcoa wheels from Ben at Class A resins, with the domed center caps for the front and rear.

5ff7be_4d31b37bf87d485b9d97c2db0a4ba58b.

I should have some updates tonight, I'm mainly getting the frame assembled and getting it prepared for paint. I've picked out a dark blue metallic for the chassis.

On the movie truck, its hard to tell the actual color since its fairly dirty. Some pics make it look black, others blue. I figured a nice dark blue that will look blue or black at certain lights and angles would work perfectly. It will also contrast well with the white cab.

I've got the same project in (glacially slow) progress, if you are painting the frame then you have already passed me up. I will definitely be watching to see how you handle the many issues.

Any idea how you are going to handle the decals? I've never been able to find photos with enough detail to work from, they are all screen shots from the movie.

Yeah that's where my references have come from too. I'm still trying to figure out how to do the decals, though I think the logo will be the toughest part. I think there might be some sort of merchandise in Google images that it could be pulled from.

What I did was watch the movie using VLC media player, and it allows you to take screenshots. If you get the blu-ray version, then you'd have the best clarity.

Edited by Jordan White

Been a bit slow moving since I'm building around work and homework. Right now I'm trying to get the chassis completely assembled so I can paint it all at once like it's done at the factory. I've also got the brakes/hubs mounted to the axles that came with the wheels.

Here's the frame with the air tanks and suspension installed. I filled in the rear mudflap mounts and the unused fuel tank holes (had to drill out different holes since the mounts will be moved back a bit).

SAM_0060.jpg

Axles and front spindles with parts from Class A resins.

SAM_0059.jpg