Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome Spray Paint Comparison

This post would not have been necessary if one of the moderators had not removed such a frequently asked question from its pinned position in Tips and Tutorials. This keeps showing up time after time after time after time. But as someone once said, nobody looks at those things. That thread had years of experience from member builders just like you see here and it's all gone now.

Edited by sjordan2

On the Spaz Stix site, it says that the mirror chrome is "specially formulated for Lexan". What primer would you need to use this on styrene or is it incompatible with styrene? Thanks.

I've sprayed Pactra R/C car lacquer (for lexan bodies) over Plasticote sandable automotive primer with no adverse effects.

This post would not have been necessary if one of the moderators had not removed such a frequently asked question from its pinned position in Tips and Tutorials. This keeps showing up time after time after time after time. But as someone once said, nobody looks at those things. That thread had years of experience from member builders just like you see here and it's all gone now.

There where plenty of hits when i searced the little while i have been on this forum. Sadly i did not find anything but personal anecdotes

and those dont do anything for me. No actual picture or video comparison where found,maby i`m just really bad at searching? I dont know.

There's a way to search the forum by going through Google. It's something like

site:modelcarsmag.com space and then what you're searching for.

That's pinned and posted in the Model Building Q & A section, but here are the Google hits:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=site:modelcarsmag.com+chrome+paint

This post would not have been necessary if one of the moderators had not removed such a frequently asked question from its pinned position in Tips and Tutorials.

Now is the perfect time for you to volunteer to be a moderator, Skip. You can put your better ideas of how things could and should be done into action, instead of continuing to complain about the way things are done by others. :)

That's a really good review. The only thing I didn't get is what he painted on. After all, doesn't Alclad require a gloss black undercoat to correct results? What about the others? This was not clear to me.

Scott

Summary text at the end of the video states that all were applied over a black base coat. I have only used Spaz Stix once thus far, but the results are incredible. I used Tamiya gloss black lacquer for my base coat with zero issues. I may try Curt's tip with using a royal blue base as that may soften it finish for some other parts. I will not give up on Alclad, but for sheer brightness the Spaz Stix has my vote.

I have heard of some guys using tamiya black underneath Spaz Stix. How long do you guys allow it to dry, and must you always buff it? Mine is coming out looking more like aluminum, but I only let the Tamiya dry for about an hour.

Are you using a bunch of light mist coats, or a couple mist coats and a heavy one?

I have seen some guys that can get this stuff looking like kit chrome.