Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truck Kits You've Scored Recently

I have a plan for that KW. And that hood is not part of it, and it will definitely be gettin a different stance. What should i be ready for once i get the parts and styrene flyin.

i had issues with hood fit/hinging. i also went for the seamless look on the sleeper, but it's like 5 parts, so i spent a ton of time sanding/putty/sanding/putty/sanding for what seemed like forever. also from what i understand, half of the frame/suspension is wrong versus what is on the real truck. and i guess nothing really fit too well. i have a thread somewhere on here of my build of it, did it with a tanker......double whammy.....

i had issues with hood fit/hinging. i also went for the seamless look on the sleeper, but it's like 5 parts, so i spent a ton of time sanding/putty/sanding/putty/sanding for what seemed like forever. also from what i understand, half of the frame/suspension is wrong versus what is on the real truck. and i guess nothing really fit too well. i have a thread somewhere on here of my build of it, did it with a tanker......double whammy.....

If your going to torment yourself you just as well take a full dose :lol:

That pair rates in the top 10 of my favorites though !

Cool. Keep in mind that the wrecker body is too wide. Youll need to remove .250 from the width for it to fit the axles better. Ben Wicker has a resin PTO also. AMT has the winches working by imagination instead of chain drive or hydraulic lines . I have some reference photos of this type of wrecker whenever you get around to building it.

Thanks Terry. I seen it sittin on the shelf for 40 bucks, i couldnt say no. I seen the price and didnt think twice about it and grabbed it.

Its not a bad kit, and thats not a bad price. This was the first kit I built when I got back into modeling years ago. I built the Pete into a tractor and put the wrecker body on a Watkins KW.The Pete has been rebuilt many times, as has the KW. The KW is waiting to be turned into the Tyrone Malone Boss truck like the one Alan built. The Pete is awaiting another rebuild. I might put the revell chrome dump body on it.

Ive done all of mine in variations of the box art. I even plan on doing my first Revell tri axle 359 rotator in the original Amt box art. Powder blue & white w/ red pinstriping. I definitley prefer the classic paint jobs. Some modern wreckers are a little ridiculous. But, Ive been accused of being old fashioned.

• 4 weeks later...

This is not a kit, but still a modeling related score. Its a model mag from 1973 with an article about the IH transtar and an article on how to detail a Diamond Reo. There is lots of cool info in the Reo article from making the front steerable to using speaker screen as an exhaust shield. I will get around to scanning the pages and posting them.

2365F03B-B17E-4BF0-935B-66B20F575D61_zps

1A44797F-48D5-47EB-A344-24D5AA7D35F8_zps

442AA539-D123-4846-A52D-8D5859F5409F_zps

626B2D6E-0AE5-48A7-A4CA-ADA5DB287DC3_zps

ED6F2895-5410-48DB-997D-22B5527446DB_zps

57BAECDE-CDFA-4742-A377-F158A7FCB9C3_zps