Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truck Kits You've Scored Recently

After what seemed like a lifetime, I got my Volvo.....Came in today.....I also got a few other kits for a steal.....The Bruder toy is 1/16 scale and I've got another backhoe setup coming....I've got plans for those two.....And the Volvo kit WILL get built.....I think that will be my next project....Very exited....Also got a Freightliner FLC.....Gonna build that one, too....Can't wait....

SAM_65261024x709_zps34aba62f.jpg

SAM_65271024x760_zps55daf96f.jpg

SAM_65321024x743_zps66421f78.jpg

SAM_65391024x623_zps977261e7.jpg

SAM_65411024x610_zpsa3c4ebe1.jpg

SAM_65421024x726_zps0b1baf4d.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Not exactly a kit, but its something ive been searchin for. I have 2 excavators now. Got them for 20 bucks each, gotta love the fuel reward points. I have no idea what im gonna do with the trucks and trailers. Guess ill figure it after i get home and open them up.

image_zpsfb93692f.jpg

Edited by Petetrucker07

Not big on the looks of the lonestar, but I hear it's a spectacular kit. The trains, while I haven't built that one, I have built one of the Revell loco's they are pretty nice, though I wouldn't follow their painting instructions. They will sit right down on a section of HO scale track, which means you can handlay a section if you want the ultimate in realism. Or use a section of I think Code 83, for low profile and make it look good as well. Good haul/

I got that Big Boy Locomotive some years back and it's a cool kit, it's 1:87 scale so it will fit a H0 train set as Michael said...but it comes with enough tracks to fit the locomotive and tender.

The Big Boy is one of the largest steam locomotives made and I saw the 4014 at Pomona Fairgrounds CA some years ago while it was still there, but it's now moved out of there for restoration....good and sad at the same time, good because it will be restored to running order, sad because we can't go there and see it anymore.

I have the Big Boy also, and it does look much better on actual HO track. I have mine on Kato track with roadbed.

HPIM1709.jpg

Just as a little size comparison, this is the Big Boy next to a Cass Scenic Railroad Shay and caboose.

HPIM2806.jpg

Yep, all the boxes were in great condition. I'll probably begin the Peterbilt this summer. I also found a mint Aurora Guillotine box, that I subsequently sold for $75. But the biggest find for me, was this AMT kit (image from the WWW), full of instruction sheets from dozens and dozens of kits I'd built as a kid.

DSC01152jpgoriginal_zps15db7e6a.jpg

After becoming re-involved with some automotive modeling lately, I snatched this from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. Not bad at all, for what appears, and is reported to be, a pretty decent kit.

70001_zpsbcca2805.jpg

Yeah Kevin, it isn't really a bad kit for the money, especially considering it was (and still is) a snap kit. The only big issue with this and the similar Peterbilt kit is the fit of the kit tires to the rims, they don't behave well. I have the Pete and replaced the kit wheels and tires with ones from another kit.

HPIM1526.jpg

The AMT van trailers and flatbed are your best bet, next finding a glue bomb or discount on ebay.

Heres my Ca Hauler with the AMT flatbed. I added scratch built quarter fenders and the reflective DOT tape, otherwise its box stock.

image_zpse3fcf601.jpg

Another Ca Hauler i built. I used the AMT beaded side van trailer. Its all box stock. It comes with a nice decal sheet.

image_zps15cf4942.jpg

Here is my snap pete. I switched the wheels and tires for moebius, lowered, shortened, scratch visor, stacks, and bumper, resin fenders. These kits are good to start with. I think of then as a blank canvas for creative freedom. Theyre affordable, easy to put together and allow a builder to try new things on big truck kit. Im gonna be starting a KW soon, maybe after i finish what i have going now.

image_zps064d5bf3.jpg

Edited by Petetrucker07

well, was a good day when I got home, these got delivered today :D

photo_zps3ae73dbb.jpg

photo_zps89f01011.jpg

photo_zpsbdbcfbba.jpg

the Alaskan hauler is sealed, the other two are sealed inside B)

the collection is almost complete, few more kits I'd like to have, but the list is getting shorter...........