Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truck Kits You've Scored Recently

Today in the mail was a Ford Big Job resin conversion from Frontier. Its a good quality casting. The donor will be the Ford race car hauler kit. I want to put a pretty obscure car on it, I just dont know what yet. Maybe a ford Thunderbolt or a Mercury Cyclone.

AC81565F-8393-4201-996F-3AF865D60981_zps

35381C37-1B93-4DE7-8BE0-52DA993650B9_zps

Now that I have it, I definitley want a second to use with the Ford dump truck kit.

That is a nice cab. I cant wait to see what you do with it.

We had a '58 Ford Dumptruck with a front drive axle for when it got real muddy. Oh it also had a snowplow blade and frame that bolted to the undercarriage. I think it may had been a State truck at one time. Had that wonderful 292 engine in it :)

Thanks for the info Pavel.

Just got this in today

5F7F1D44-0EEE-4518-9B4E-A79F447D07D0_zps

Ive never really been a fan of this truck for a few reasons. I dont really love the wide chrome rims in the front(that are the wrong scale), or the spread rear suspension. But after seeing Jardas build(Truckabilly), and all of his corrections to the kit(extended hood, motor swap,etc) suddenly I wanted one. I guess Im just a sucker for correcting a kit. Heres Jardas build if you havent seen it.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47089&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

I had a mini-score today, a Freightliner COE for $15 at Hobby Lobby. I went there for some paint and saw the kit on the bottom shelf with the plastic torn and one end flap pulled away from the box. I took it to one of the employees and asked if I could get it for a discount. She directed me to an assistant manager and I asked if he'd sell it at a discount from the $36.99 sticker (yes, they still use price stickers there). I told him I'd give $25 for it since I didn't know if it was a complete kit. He agreed with the stipulation that it couldn't be returned. We took it to the cashier, he told her it was $25, and after he walked away I whipped out the good 'ol 40%-coupon! ;) He never said I couldn't use a coupon! :D When I got home and checked everything out...complete kit! B)

Now that's a shrewd move.....That's how you score a model....

No JT, I've got one better! A good friend of mine had a Papa Truck that I did everything short of steal to get off of him and I just couldn't seem to talk him out of it. Well, a couple years ago we were talking and he told me he was going through the model room cleaning up before he came over and he had a "surprise" for me. Yeah, it was a surprise alright, he walked in with Papa Truck in hand and floored me with his response when I asked him what he brought it for, he said "for you"! He said he lost interest in it since he didn't have the Super Boss to go with it and he knew I wanted all the years he had it so he just gave it to me. My years of persistentance paid off, and proved just how good of a friend to me he is!