Model Cars Magazine Forum

CHARLIE ALLEN Dart F/C - Hobby Room Construction - Update 7/14/15

Nitrozilla

Very good progress Joe. I always enjoyed hacking and shaping and bondo, but only up to a point. It's the really fun & creative side of the hobby I guess. But bondo, sand, primer, bondo, sand, primer, bondo, sand, primer, bondo, sand, primer, bondo, sand, primer, bondo, sand, primer, bondo, sand, primer....gets a little old at some point. Can't wait to see it when you're past that stage. Cheers dude!

Very good progress Joe. I always enjoyed hacking and shaping and bondo, but only up to a point. It's the really fun & creative side of the hobby I guess. But bondo, sand, primer, bondo, sand, primer, bondo, sand, primer, bondo, sand, primer, bondo, sand, primer, bondo, sand, primer, bondo, sand, primer....gets a little old at some point. Can't wait to see it when you're past that stage. Cheers dude!

Thanks for the reminder BUDDY !!!!! Tim, construction is my passion and I might do a little more on the nose.

Here's what's up y'all. I just found out the house is close to closing. I should sign for everything on Monday or Tuesday, then get keys on Wednesday or Thursday. That being the case, it gives me time to try something I was considering on the nose. I'm going to fill it with a flat blank, like the Harrell Camaro. Then I'll grind off the back of the headlight assembly, leaving only the outer grill rings to reattach to the nose blank. I'll also make some headlight covers. In the recesses will be two script decals that say "Dodge Fever", again as a tribute to Jim Keeler's model of the same name.

I guess you could say I'm closing the house and the nose. Might as well get to it this weekend before I have to start packing.

Awwwwww maaaaaan, I gotta' start packing ??????? Thanks for the reminder BUDDY !!!!!!

Edited by Nitrozilla

Excellent news!

Joe, it's amazing to read how quick a house deal can move, really quick! Already thinking of packing, wow. In old Europe, things don't move as fast. Be thankful that all is well and that you can do as you choose, so quickly too. Good stuff!

Before the move though, the Dodge is finished. That's an order!

Michael

Thanks for the thumbs up Michael (See what I did there?) I know how slow it's been here in the past, but for instance, I signed a dozen documents electronically, on my phone ! In the olden days of yore I would have had to wait until they were all ready and / or make multiple trips to the mortgage company. The closest it's going to be to done is putty before primer. I'll do that in my new hobby room.

Got a bug and did the nose tonite. It's exactly what I envisioned.

DSC02112.jpgDSC02113.jpgDSC02115.jpgDSC02118.jpg

Thank you Art. I miss you man.

Thank you Michael.

Thank you Danno. I miss you too man.

Thank you Brother Chris. I have an Iwata compressor and a Paasche H Series Single Action hand grenade and I'm ready to pull the pin. With my teeth.

Hit a speed bump on the road to home ownership today. Realtor was one hour late for the final walkthru. I was on fire to start. I have always believed in The Lombardi Rule. The Coach always told his players, "If you're ten minutes early, you're five minutes late." Being late is not just rude, it's disrespectful.

When we got into the house to check the repairs, the only thing done was the pool was cleaned. None of the inspectors' repair recommendations were done. I lost it..........

So, I went to Outback for a steak, came home and medicated myself.

We'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm thinking Sunshine, Rainbows and Unicorns. Or a Fire Breathing Dragon.

Belated Thank You Vince.

Moving Day is Tuesday. Hope to be back online that nite, if not Wednesday.

There have been some speed bumps. Can't get the garage floor painted early, there are no cable hookups anywhere in the house, not even a cable box on the property, the roof trim didn't get finished even though it was only half done for curb appeal.

It will all be worth it soon.

Happy Modeling My Friends

This installment of The Chronicles of Zilla is entitled Uptown Funk because that's the video I used to christen my first night in my new diggity digs.Then I listened to the Minion version.

I pulled the final stuff out of the old joint yesterday. Then this morning I christened the pool. No, not that way, by swimming in it.I just bought a vacuum so excuse the greenery in the water. Mmmmmm, algae. As you will see by the pics, the hobby room won't be up and running for a day or fourteen. I've got shelves and storage cabinets to buy and a counter top for the photography stand where the blue shelves are. The front yard is a blank slate, landscaping-wise. Might take some of that dark rock and put a Batman logo in the middle. Seriously. It should reflect the personality of the resident, right? Can you believe that all of this was in a one bedroom apartment?

Just because I'm that kind of guy, I want to say that none of this is intended as rubbing it in anyone's face. I simply want to share my happy news with my MCM Family.

Enjoy the pics y'all.

20150626_170512.jpg20150626_170618.jpg20150626_170715.jpg20150626_170743.jpg20150626_170757.jpg20150626_170908.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla

Nice digs ! Looks like a great place to build. Congrats !!

Ray, I've never known you to be wrong. It will be a great place to build and my motivation is redoubled when I think of the builds that will escape my evil laboratory of HoK chemical combos.

Congrats. Looking forward to when you get your hobby space going.

I'm all over that Bob. Still a lot of items that are higher on the priority list, but I'm gonna' use a Dremel to grind 'em out.

DANG Joe.......that`s Awesome......soooo happy for ya Zilla.......way cool.......can`t wait for the party at Zillas pad :)

You got it my Brother. It won't exactly be the first party thrown though. I got invaded. Thank Gawd they don't take up too much room and they'll sleep anywhere.

minions-wide.jpg

Looks nice Joe, that pool looks awesome! Lucky you.

The pool is awesome Gene. Man, I gotta hit that thing as often as possible. I've been basically dormant for the last 6 years and it's time to whip this old piece of, uh, stuff, into shape. That's the main reason for my insistence on one when I was house hunting.

Congratulations Joe. If one believes in Karma, well, all I can say is you must be living right. Enjoy! Tim

I'm all about that Karma thing Brother Tim. I've made a lot of sacrifices over the years, both personally and professionally, making every attempt to please others and assume responsibility for their happiness.

My turn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Again Pholks !!!

I've been a very busy boy these last 2 / 3 weeks. The house is slowly getting squared away. Actually, I spent 4 days lining the kitchen cabinets and drawers. An amazing product is Contact Zip N Fit shelf lining. It can be ripped in 1/4" segments, strips, blocks, whatever. It might even be a good material for model display bases when a mirror just won't do. I included a pic at the end.

Aaaaaanyway, I started putting the hobby room together. The desk to the far left and the table on the right are new. The table is going to get a hole cut out for a downdraft airbrush station. A TV will go above the dresser between the other desks.

On the opposite wall ( where the contents of my room are currently still in boxes ) will be two 5 tier shelf units for kits and a cabinet for storage of materials and paint bombs. Next to that will be another matching table for photography. That oughta cover it for now.

I wonder where that Charlie Allen build got off to?

Enjoy the pics.

20150714_113017.jpg20150714_113029.jpg20150707_113010.jpg